NOT a happy bunny this morning

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Expat

Re: NOT a happy bunny this morning

Post by Expat »

Well, in the light of day and with specs on, this has got curiouser and couriouser.

Pic of broken, not? cable end
369BF41F-544F-439B-8F11-F4AB237A9BF0.jpeg
Have to resize other pics to post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Post by Expat »

Spot the difference?
F057E997-6CD6-4FA6-A462-EE9D1E8C004B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

All I see different is that the unused cable still has that sleeve type part of the nipple at the end of the cable where it joins the nipple proper.

Here's pic of the unused one in it's lever fitting, whatever that's called. Trunnion?
B58AFD9B-280B-4367-8BD6-26C4AA080A36.jpeg
Don't know why there's two the same.

Anyway, it seems that somehow the trunnion allowed the cable to disengage then disappeared in the road leaving no lever action.
Keep shiny side up.

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Am I correct in thinking the wire cable did not extend to the end of the nipple? ie. is the remaining bit of nipple in the top photo is from the reduced diameter portion?

If so you were relying on the tensile strength of 'mazak' ie b****r all and this represents a worrying manufacturing quality escape with potentially very serious consequences.

Does the Club know if cables are all / sample tested by the manufacturer before release?

Anyone with one of these type cables sitting on the shelf should follow Spriddler's advice and give them a rigorous function test before riding.

Regards Mick
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Ah! Cross posts

When you fitted the cable did you orientate the barrel, (trunnion), with the slot towards the front?

If the slot is to the rear when you operate the lever you are trying to pull the nipple through the slot in the barrel, if the barrel is a little tight in the lever the force is greater.

Mazak being the poor material it is may well fail under these conditions and allow the cable to pull out of the barrel.

Regards Mick
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Triumph-Legend wrote:Very slightly off subject.
Some may recall the dealer in Great Missenden, Bucks. Bert Jeffries. Real old school bike repairer and occasional new and S/H sales.
Bert fell off his perch many years ago. But to all who knew him. He was an absolute bloody diamond bloke.
AH, the late great Bert Jefferies. I spent many hours queuing in his little shop front 1981-85. Beloved by all who met him & fondly remembered. His sidekick "Guinness" less so. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I still enjoy hearing his telephone greeting performed:- "Hello Bert Jefferies, Bert Jefferies speaking." Happy days.
John Marshall
Expat

Post by Expat »

Interesting point Mick and I can't honestly say which way round the barrel was. I still have the original barrel and of course the spare new one, so tonight will have a play and report back.

Cheers :)

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Looking at Steve's photo, that doesn't look like a cast on nipple, the flat(s) on the reduced portion would suggest some degree of swaging, unfortunately the swaging could also reduce the diameter of the nipple to an extent whereby it can slip through the slot in the barrel.

It's also pretty obvious that the solder has not adhered much beyond the tip of the nipple - evidenced by the lack of any solder debris where the sleeve used to be!

I wonder what's wrong with the 'old' system of a brass barrel nipple soldered direct to the inner?

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:I wonder what's wrong with the 'old' system of a brass barrel nipple soldered direct to the inner?
I surmise that it's so a decent quantity of universal/stock/standard cables can be manufactured. With a range of different dia barrels available the standard cable can then be matched/packed/despatched according to the make/model of bike for which it's intended.
I have several levers that require different dia barrels.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Here's a photo of my spare cable, it looks as though your, broken not cable, never had a sleeve in the first place, very odd.
Clutch Cable.jpg