Magneto or Coil ignition

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanjennings

Re: Magneto or Coil ignition

Post by alanjennings »

Just about to buy a model 31 with mag. and gen. Will see how it compares with mag. and dynamo, Nev!! At least will have a better chain case!! :D
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Never mind the electrics Alan; it's a twin so it's bound to be trouble.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

If you went with electronic ignition wouldn't the whole argument be pointsless? :lol:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Been thinking about how I can keep an eye on the voltage and at the Bath and West show Paul Goff had a battery voltage digital readout.
So I,ve bought the readout and an on off switch.
As the bike is Positive earth, do I connect the readout live red wire to the negative on the battery via the switch, and the black wire direct to the positive terminal of the battery?.
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote:As the bike is Positive earth, do I connect the readout live red wire to the negative on the battery via the switch, and the black wire direct to the positive terminal of the battery?.
I would say No.
Red is always Positive, regardless of whether it goes to the frame (the so-called 'Earth') or through the wiring loom.
Switched Red should go to battery Pos and black to battery Neg.
It may have reversed connection protection so that if the digital unit is connected the wrong way it simply won't work. On the other hand it may stuff it :(
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

mikeydpippin wrote:Been thinking about how I can keep an eye on the voltage and at the Bath and West show Paul Goff had a battery voltage digital readout.
So I,ve bought the readout and an on off switch.
As the bike is Positive earth, do I connect the readout live red wire to the negative on the battery via the switch, and the black wire direct to the positive terminal of the battery?.
Why not give Paul Goff a call - it would avoid damage if there is no reverse voltage protection.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Sprid and Jim,
As ever Paul very helpfull this is his reply, for anyone else that may find it usefull.

This is correct "Connect BLACK wire from display to on off switch connections and then connect to NEGATIVE on battery, and connect RED wire from display direct to earth or negative on battery".

Alternatively, if it is a coil ign. model take the black wire from the display to the live (-) side of the coil, this will switch the display on & off with the ign.

Regards
PG
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote: This is correct "Connect BLACK wire from display to on off switch connections and then connect to NEGATIVE on battery, and connect RED wire from display direct to earth or negative on battery".
That's rather confusing, as both wires (Red and Black) would/could then be connected to battery Neg.
The polarity of the frame (Earth) is irrelevant provided that you connect the display red to Pos and display Black to Neg.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Oh well tried but failed, connected the voltage readout to coil and earthed the other cable and it showed the battery voltage, started bike and voltage shows zero whilst engine running.
Connected both cables of display to battery same thing happens.
So not a good idea after all.
I was hoping to see the voltage to check alternators working ok, and to prevent breaking down again with flat battery.
Mike
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Is your regulator / rectifier goosed?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein