Fork overhaul

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Martin.S

Fork overhaul

Post by Martin.S »

I've cleaned up the internals of one of the fork legs for my G5. As per norm there is some water damage resulting in pitting.
I've yet to get a good look inside the damper tube but I think it's OK but the piston and rod are pitted.
1. Does the pitting matter on the rod - is there meant to be a reasonable seal between it and the sleeve at the top of the damper tube as it does with Norton Roadholders?
2. What does the brass 'seat' do and
3. The said sleeve at the top of the damper tube has two grooves - one being for the clip - which way up does it fit?
Fork Internals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vincentvv

Re: Fork overhaul

Post by vincentvv »

Ken de groom teledraulic overhaul article helped me allot. But I can't seem to find it in the archives? Can someone help?
Not fired is always a misser!
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Vince, I found the Ken de groom article on the Access Norton site - Maybe someone who knows how could archive it.

https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonComm ... ild.19846/.

Still doesn't answer my questions though!

From what I can see the fit between the fixed damper rod and the top sleeve should offer a resistance to the oil. My thoughts at the moment are to make new rods using 8mm mild steel stock which is slightly bigger than the 5/16" used and then ream out the sleeve to suit - any thoughts?
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I found this article, the first two sections might be of interest.
https://jsmotorsport.com/js-motorsport- ... -upgrades/