General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ksj_LAPSED

Re: New Topic Suggestion

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

leave it as it is
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm happy with the website design/categories as it is. There are several specific long-running resto threads, particularly e.g. in the G3 forum where George Kaplan's thread is now at 9 pages and Jaqlite's is at 13 pages and the G80 forum where cfaber's resto tale is at 7 pages. Provided that folk keep adding to their original topic/thread and don't keep starting a new one every time some work is done it's easy to follow progress. The 'What did you do in the garage today?' works well as an eclectic selection of various activities which is a bit like the supermarket 'Reduced' shelves which I always browse; not because the stuff's cheap but because it presents stuff different from that seen on my usual and habitual route around the store (Forums).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Nev

I think you may have missed my point - the extensive AMC threads actually support my suggestion by their popularity.

The 'What Did You Do In The Garage' thread started 10,02,19 now extends to 32 pages and contains running commentary on:
Tiger Cub restoration
Rear carrier fabrication
Norton 88 restoration
To name but three.

At current posting rate the WDYDITG thread will run to around 360 pages after 12 months - all I'm suggesting is an area of the forum where people can post threads that are non AMC but of interest to members rather than interested parties having to troll through hundreds of pages to follow a thread.

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I do like the conversational style of the thread eg I did this .......... that's nice I did this. It's quite informal, friendly and most of all educational. The fact that non marque bikes are featured is irrelevant as I feel I am picking up useful hints and tips.

If there is demand for a separate section of WDYDITGT and the moderators can accommodate it then press the button. The popularity of the thread speaks volumes (15,000 views and counting!)

Anyways I'm off to the garage now to do some staring! :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I Like the idea of keeping things simple and enjoyable where everyone contributes with different ideas, regardless of what motorbike they have. I'm not suggesting for a minute that other subjects like knitting or gardening etc. are included, but what I find interesting is how other peoples' lives are related and still keeping their machines alive and working. I appreciate it still has to be still AJS/Matchless related though otherwise it would just wander off subject. My point is still to attract new ideas but keep things light hearted. There's other threads to be technical and serious. That's my tuppence worth anyway today. :)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:Hi Nev I think you may have missed my point - the extensive AMC threads actually support my suggestion by their popularity.

The 'What Did You Do In The Garage' thread started 10,02,19 now extends to 32 pages and contains running commentary on:
Tiger Cub restoration
Rear carrier fabrication
Norton 88 restoration
To name but three.
I'm with you and with Spooky and Plugs 'n Points. Rather than it being just another thread within the 'General Topics' heading a separate dedicated 'garage' thread of diverse and hopefully bike-related garage/shed activities would be good as a virtual 'biking' club chat room, but regardless of bike marque. (But no Bolognese recipes or Grab-a-Granny tales, eh!).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Decision made...!!

There is now a new area called "Garage Projects" (restricted to club members only), I've moved across the threads that I could identify as "projects" so they area easily found in one place now rather than being scattered. For anyone embarking on their own project, this area will hopefully provide a useful resource for seeing what others have done, their trials and tribulations along the way.

Each new project should be started within its own thread - in that way it will be easier to find only the projects that interest you without having to read through hundreds of postings just to get to the bit you want.

The current entries in the new "Garage Projects" area consist of
  • * 1940 G3WO project assembly help
    * What did you do in the garage today
    * 1958 Matchless G3
    * My new G80 Restoration project
I will search the archives to see what else can be retrospectively added.
Corners like a Lego man
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Nice one Eamonn, you are ten men :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Excellent, many thanks.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

all welll and good but please explain how I get to garage projects