Spares Sales now Members Only

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

Spares Sales now Members Only

Post by Andy51 »

Spares Sales – Now Members Only
At the last Club committee meeting on 24 February, it was decided that, as from 1 March 2019, AMOC spares will ONLY sell to current club members. We made this ruling as the situation has changed since we took the original decision some 10 years ago to sell to non-members.
We are running short of many parts; current holdings were often bought some years ago and their replacements will reflect today's prices. One of our main suppliers (Andrew Engineering) has ceased manufacture and small engineering shops willing to undertake short runs are getting fewer, so restocking is more difficult. This situation is complicated by many potential parts manufacturers demanding fully dimensioned and specified drawings. We hold few original AMC factory drawings and it is both difficult and expensive to get new ones made to meet modern manufacturing requirements; the days of taking a couple of samples along and getting them copied are largely gone. New old stock has of course long dried up.
Back then we had to compete in a more crowded market; now, for practical purposes (apart from ourselves), there are only two sellers with a comprehensive range of AJS and Matchless spares and one of those may be retiring soon.
These factors mean that to protect the parts availability for members, and ensure as comprehensive a range as possible, we took the decision to stop selling outside the club.
Group Leader

Re: Spares Sales now Members Only

Post by Group Leader »

Seems very fair and reasonable to me.

The cost of belonging to the club is small, if you can't afford that cost I should imagine it's near on impossible to afford to buy, maintain and run old classic motorcycles anyway even if our marque our generally very reasonably priced. (How I would love a 7R :( )

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
shifter

Post by shifter »

I am for one in total agreement with the decision
shifter
?
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

I've always felt that making the club spares scheme open to all was a bit unfair to members so am in complete agreement with this decision. I believe that other one-make clubs have members-only spares schemes.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Maybe members that did not support club spares have suddenly woken up. Yes the club is still here making the effort to get parts made you need, having found other suppliers are not. So perhaps if you now support the club, loss of sales to non members will not effect the club, in providing the service you hope for.
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

The dutch ajs and matchless club has the same policy, not a member=no parts. Hope you will still sell to foreign members with the upcoming brexit, otherwise some members will have to smuggle some contraband to the Balen rally this year (-;
Not fired is always a misser!
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

I completely agree with this stance. I have always had great service from the clubs spares scheme. A quick question, what happens to the members discount previously offered?
I'm only old on the outside.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

This has been withdrawn while we look at something else to replace it. It was announced it the December 2018 Jampot page 6.
Roy
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

OK, thanks for that. I guess I should read ALL the Jampot mag :)
I'm only old on the outside.