4-5 plate clutch burman

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
trevair

4-5 plate clutch burman

Post by trevair »

hi all reading various articles am I right in thinking my g80s 500 1955 should be a 5 plate as when I bought it it had only 4 can someone tell me the inside depth of the 5 plate cage, outside depth would be go too from sprocket to rim, I may get another plate on but think it may move off when clutch applied
any help please just summat else that's wrong with this project
regards trev
Rob Harknett

Re: 4-5 plate clutch burman

Post by Rob Harknett »

If it had four its probably got the wrong clutch. Parts list says 5.
Ashampoo_Snap_11 March 2019_20h26m01s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

trevair wrote:hi all reading various articles am I right in thinking my g80s 500 1955 should be a 5 plate as when I bought it it had only 4 can someone tell me the inside depth of the 5 plate cage, outside depth would be go too from sprocket to rim, I may get another plate on but think it may move off when clutch applied
any help please just summat else that's wrong with this project
regards trev
Maybe you've got the same problem I had with my '55 G80... A previous owner/restorer(?) had fitted the clutch centre from a 350 which is shorter and will only hold 4 plates. I noticed something was amiss by the length of the studs sticking out. I'd got a deeper 500 basket and studs with a shorter hub. I got hold of a longer 500cc hub and an extra pair of plates to put it right.
18S_2260-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
trevair

Post by trevair »

thanks for reply but this doesent tell me which mine is its the sizes i need to determine what i need to buy new ie are the threads long enough is the inner cage deep enough and the outer its measurements please for a 500 five plate clutch
regards trev
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Not sure if this will help, but I was led to believe that the 350 and 500cc bikes used the same clutch basket. The difference between the 4 plate, 350cc clutch and the 5 plate 500cc clutch was only the length of the hub and the length of the 5 studs (plus the extra pair of plates of course). The clutch in my photo has the 5 plate basket, 4 plate hub, 4 plate disc pack and the longer 5 plate studs which is why they protrude so far through the nuts. The photo below shows the old 4 plate hub and the new (aftermarket) 5 plate hub. The length difference is obvious. It should be noted that the flange on the new hub is considerably thicker than the flange on the old hub. This was a problem and probably incorrect. It pushed the disc pack too far out and when the clutch was operated, the last plain plate became disengaged from the clutch basket. I cured it by putting the hub up in the lathe and machining the flange back to the same thickness as the old hub.
John
20180612_132613-small.jpg
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

OK straight from the shed.....

B52 500 clutch basket 1 1/2" rim to sprocket
Hub 1 1/2 total width
screws 2 1/8" total length

350 basket same as 500
hub 1 1/4" rim to sprocket
screws 1 7/8" total length

Dave

PS where in Lancs are you?
trevair

Post by trevair »

thanks all will strip it down in half hour when I get home
rawtenstall dave
regards trev
trevair

Post by trevair »

my basket is 1-1/2 " sprocket to rim outside my hub is 1-1/4"" from top to bottom stop. With my hub on when you look from side it sticks out further than the basket
regards trev
trevair

Post by trevair »

New i should have bought another triumph
trevair

Post by trevair »

With the basket 1 1/2" from sprocket to rim inner hub 1 5/6"
With 5 plates and the last steel plate both are over the rim
The washer for the roller bearings is 1/8" thick
Any ideas anyone