Ebay Again

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Ebay Again

Post by MalcW »

Hi All

There is a model 20 on Ebay, item number 173824496569. Someone I know who is new to classic bikes (he is a biker though) is going to look at it this evening, so on his behalf I'm interested in any opinions. I see that someone has added a breather to the timing cover, though I can't see where it goes to - inlet manifold maybe? Also there is a cartridge oil filter on the crankcase breather and something on the end of the exhaust camshaft. A weirdly positioned rev counter perhaps?
It looks like a bike that's been set up to use rather than as a show bike.

All opinions welcome.

Malc

Re: Ebay Again

Post by 1608 »

That e-bay ref does not compute. Not sure what happened there found it. On the whole it looks ok to me. I would be more interested in how the bike goes. I'm not a fan of after market oil filters ( been run on 20/50 oil?) especially on the flow/feed side. Sometimes extra breather pipes are fitted to try and overcome oil leaks, not the answer in my view. If these twins needed extra breathing then they would have been factory fitted on later models. Buyer needs to ask plenty of questions on viewing, but certainly worth a look in my view.
Last edited by 1608 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

1608 wrote:That e-bay ref does not compute. Not sure what happened there found it.
That's a relief. I just tried it and it worked for me. Phew!

Malc
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The thing on the end of the exhaust camshaft looks to be made up of pipe fittings and a gauge. An oil pressure gauge, perhaps. I'm not familiar with twin engines... would that be a sensible place to measure the oil pressure?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.

Post by 1608 »

I did consider it being a gauge, but you are right its not an appropriate take off point as the main pressure has already been depleted / diverted to the shells. Looks like a gas or water pipe fitting too :o
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

1608 wrote:I did consider it being a gauge, but you are right its not an appropriate take off point as the main pressure has already been depleted / diverted to the shells. Looks like a gas or water pipe fitting too :o
Perhaps it's the header tank for a water cooled camshaft...
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

You could always ask the seller?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein