Full width Heavyweight Brake Drum Skimming

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
LynP

Full width Heavyweight Brake Drum Skimming

Post by LynP »

Hi, I am about to get a wheel built for a heavyweight and I have two full width alloy front hubs to choose from (both late 1950's types). However, when I inspected the drums in the hubs the metal liners of both vary in thickness around their circumferences. I believe that these types of hubs were skimmed after the wheels were built, so my question is have others experienced this issue, if so is it a result of the skimming and is it usually noticeable to the eye? It seems strange to me that both my hubs have the same issue and I do not want to build on them unless this is know to happen. Thank you for any help, LynP
Mick D

Re: Full width Heavyweight Brake Drum Skimming

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I was a little wary of this when I rebuilt my G3 front wheel - maybe I was lucky but the front brake works fine with no pulsation, I did ensure that all the spokes were as near as I could judge to the same torque. Dinging the spokes with a wooden dowel to gauge they all sound the same is a good guide.

Regards Mick
LynP

Re: Full width Heavyweight Brake Drum Skimming

Post by LynP »

Thank you Mick for your reply to my question and I think given your experience I will build with the best of my hubs and hope for the same outcome as you got. It would be interesting to know how many other people have noticed the variation in drum liner thickness, especially if they are fairly sure their wheel was as it left the factory. Also if they have then had to have their drums skimmed again after rebuilding the front wheel.