Advice please

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Advice please

Post by MalcW »

I sent the dynamo from my twin off to the club spares to get an exchange unit, as mine coughs into life occasionally, but usually does nothing. Unfortunately they can't accept it, as a PO has changed the original draw bolt that pulls it against the back of the timing case with a piece of threaded rod, and the threaded holes holding the drive end bearing plate have been bodged in the past, and have araldite in them.
So, what options do I have? Try and get a complete replacement dynamo? Get the relevant bits plus a replacement armature (the field windings give a correct reading on the multimeter, so hopefully it's OK) and have a go at rebuilding it? Fit an Alton generator?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Re: Advice please

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure if I have taken all that in. However could you not get the damaged parts replaced, to make the dynamo acceptable for exchange.?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not easy to advise on just your description but I guess the first move would be to identify a supplier and cost for the bits needed.
Google 'Dynamo repairs' and you'll get hits which may help with advice or repair. E.g. these are two of several...
http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/dhday- ... mo-repairs
http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/
I believe an Alton is in the region of £400.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

can I just add another who was most helpful to me when I needed to refurbish a 1942 dynamo, Priory Magneto's, Andrew Guttman he will most likely have the parts you need. kind regards
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far. As far as I can see, getting the relevant parts to replace the damaged/incorrect parts, thus making the dynamo acceptable for exchange, and then getting that exchange, is pushing the cost of an Alton. I'm sure I could get the bits cheaper over a period of time - Ebay, auto jumbles etc., but that would render the bike u/s for as long as that took. I think I will get the Alton in the meantime, and maybe sell the dynamo as spares/repair to offset some of the cost.

Cheers,

Malc
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Malc

A quick look at t'internet suggests you could get a re-build kit for £165 - if your generator is mechanically sound / fit for purpose why not keep it as it is and replace the internals?

Regards Mick
Groily

Post by Groily »

Mick D wrote:Hi Malc

A quick look at t'internet suggests you could get a re-build kit for £165 - if your generator is mechanically sound / fit for purpose why not keep it as it is and replace the internals?

Regards Mick
Think that is what I would do too. Quite a big saving, and not actually too hard to do. (I'd then invest part of the saving in a decent regulator, if there isn't one there already, to protect the larger investment in the armature.)

The drive end plate could also be sorted with a 2BA insert if the threaded hole has been enlarged, and any extra unwanted small holes for the oil seal & bearing retainer plate filled with short bits of threaded (aka screws with the 'eads filed off). Still only about half the cost of an Alton - not that they aren't good things of course, as many will attest happily.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hmm, you've got me thinking now. I do like to fix things if at all possible. Silly question though: how do you take them apart? I did have a brief go once not long after I got the bike on the road. I removed the pinion and tab washer, took out the brushes, and removed the long bolts. Both ends moved slightly, but neither end would come off. So I just put it back together as it was. Did I miss a step, or do I need to take a rubber mallet to it?

Malc
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Malc

Have a look here:

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... Pt%20A.pdf

Regards Mick
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Tony Cooper charges the same for reconditioning yours as he does a straight swap with one that he has. I think it's around £125.
His number is 0121 559 2405. He's usually got one on the shelf ready to go.