Attachment web space exceeded

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Attachment web space exceeded

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you get a message when attempting to post an attachment, your file will not be empty as you are told. It means our forum web space has been exceeded. So more work made for Eamonn, to free up space when time allows him to do so.
Greybeard

Re: Attachment web space exceeded

Post by Greybeard »

It might help if folk didnt 'quote' photographs :roll:

Steve
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Making the photos smaller too would help
only dead fish go with the flow
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Just to clarify....

There are two areas on the server that are used when uploading pictures:
1) The temporary "upload" area
2) the permanent "storage" area

In the permanent area we have sufficient space, so once your picture is loaded it's safely in place.
The problem we have (nor and then) is the temporary space - this is only used when loading your pictures into the system - once loaded it's no longer used. The problem arises as this temporary area sits alongside the same temporary area used by Microsoft when new system updates are released. Consequently whenever there is a new update, our temporary space runs out and we have problems loading pictures. Once I clear out the temporary area, the system works fine again for another few weeks until the next Microsoft update.

The updates are important as they help to ensure our systems are secure and up to date, so they cannot be stopped.

In order to resolve this problem, we need to update our systems to a new server with more space. It's been over 4 years since we last updated so this is not unexpected. At the last committee meeting, agreement was made to proceed with a system update and I intend to commence work on this over them next couple of months. Once we get a new server in place, it will have sufficient temporary storage space to prevent the uploading difficulties for quite some time - hopefully at least 4 years!
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did hint at this Eamonn, also mentioned this will have a cost. Perhaps then members may refrain from taking up space that will have to be paid for, make them more considerate in keeping uploads on topic and motor cycle related. Perhaps if they were aware of the upgrade cost, which may mean a rise in subscriptions, they may feel their un related uploads are adding to other members subscriptions to pay for them.
matg80s

Post by matg80s »

Last edited by matg80s on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:....refrain from taking up space that will have to be paid for, make them more considerate in keeping uploads on topic and motor cycle related.
Cheer up, Rob.
There are very very few totally off-topic attachments and they are almost all only in the 'General Topics' section which surely is the virtual club bar and benefits from a bit of diversification/banter. After all, it is a 'Club' and all its members are motorcycle related so by what criteria does anyone decide whether a photo is off-topic or not in some way motorcycle related? The lively 'What did you do in the garage today?' topic is an example of one of the 'community' benefits of membership.
Unfortunately, only a tiny proportion of members use the subscription funded Forums, nevertheless every member has the opportunity to contribute.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

All I can say Nevvile is, a motor cycle forum I monitor and help maintain needs very little work at all. I cannot recall the last time I monitored a posting, or had to free up space. The members just do not make that work for me. So why not here also. The only difference is the forum I monitor etc is for prewar and WD bikes of the marque only. Theres not even idle chat, unless perhaps trying to organise members meeting up at jumbles shows etc. Its world wide, but English has to be used, even that works. Names are also used like on start & ending a posting, so you know who you are talking to . Rob
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Fair comment, Rob, but the issue is about 'irrelevant' and data-hungry photos taking up server space, not idle chat in text form. I doubt that any Moderator has ever had to intervene and moderate 'off-topic' text.

(.......exits shed left, wrist slapped and lesson learned :cry: )
;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Rob stop and read the reply from Eamonn. The photos sit in the permanent section of the website for which there is sufficient space, it is only whilst they are uploaded that they have to use the temporary section. The problem is that the microsoft updates use the same temporary section and crowd it out. The need to increase capacity has been going on for years.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix