Sidecar in that there London

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Re: Sidecar in that there London

Post by poplargreg »

Had a 50s soft top Reliant in the 60s. The chassis was rather weak and with three passengers aboard, the doors would jam shut.
I welll remember driving 40miles in fog to see Jimi Hendrix at the Blue Moon in Cheltenham with four passengers. Six volt lighting meant lining the offside rear wheel with the white line most of the way back
Worth it though.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I moved on from a combo to a Reliant. At the time the law had changed to, a motor cycle licence holder could drive a 3 wheeler with a reverse gear. I got a 1955 Reliant soft top, with the old Austin 7 SV engine in 1965. The model that had an alloy body on a wooden frame work. I had a couple of S/H models be getting a new Reliant van. I had about a 9 new vans until my needs out grew the Reliant. In 1988 I took a car test. I failed my first car test when a teenager. Another reason I took to Reliant's. I went all over the British Isles in them also Europe and Scandinavia. One trip I did to Denmark, Sweden and Norway, was done after I had sold the car. I told the garage I did not want to take my new one on holiday. The salesman was surprised when 2 weeks later I went to pick up my new van, I had put over 5,000 miles on the clock. He said, where ever did you go on holiday, to clock up over 5,000 miles. I told him. Next thing I know, Reliant advertising agents got on to me for the story of my travels, which they used for their advertising. They headed it " Disco Robin " as I used to work in Scandinavian clubs as DJ on my trips. DFDS ferry crew got to know us well. Couple of times they got me working on the ship in return for my fare refunded. One reason why I was looking forward to entertaining at the last International Jampot Rally. It would have been about the 40th anniversary of working as a DJ in Denmark. But DFDS ended the ferry service just prior to the rally. As for loading up the Reliant van, one night a Harlow youth club I used to DJ at, had transport problems getting the girls netball team to a club in Stansted. I managed to pack most of the team in my Reliant van. Leaving just a couple to make up a team from the other club. Would not dare do that now. I recall going into Italy from Monty Carlo on one trip, customs officials looked all over my Reliant Van, sat in the drivers seat etc. They had never seen one before. After giving it a good look over, one of the officers said " you sella one wheel " in broken Italian, I said I had quarto wheels, and showed them the 4th wheel strapped inside the van in the spare wheel well.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

poplargreg wrote:Had a 50s soft top Reliant in the 60s. The chassis was rather weak and with three passengers aboard, the doors would jam shut.
I welll remember driving 40miles in fog to see Jimi Hendrix at the Blue Moon in Cheltenham with four passengers. Six volt lighting meant lining the offside rear wheel with the white line most of the way back
Worth it though.
I used to put the soft top down driving in fog. Then stand up driving it looking over the top of the screen. I could then see better, like I could when on my bikes.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Wow! Rob, you'd be pinched for that several ways nowadays!

Greg, just back from a return trip to Leominster to drop Linda off to "dad sit" while his wife goes on holiday for a break. I'm a big fan of Jimi. Unfortunately didn't see him, and my school friend hadn't got the tickets he planned to get for us. Then he died.

Have a first day copy of Electric Ladyland and lots of other stuff. Last summer at the Hyde Park gig, when Carlos Santana turned round he had a pic of Jimi covering the back of his jacket. He also slipped in a few phrases of Jimi's work. Bonamassa's really good but seems sterile in comparison.

Jeff Beck's work seems to go almost unrecognised.

Back down to Leominster early next week.

Good to see you posting again.

Johnny B
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

It seems like a different world. Saw "Hey Joe" on TOTP, drove down on Saturday, paid (I think) 7/6 at the door. Good little club, just queued on the stairs John Mayall, Cream etc.
No pre-booking for vast sums
For my money, Roy Harper is the greatest largely unrecognised talent. Went up to Brum last week to catch his final tour - magic!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My wife's a Roy Harper fan.

We've been amking a real effort to get out to as much live music as possible. Not so difficult as you may think in the North East.

This year Blues Band at Stockton, Paul Jones as good as ever. Booker T Jones fantastic at the Sage Newcastle - but back on topic central Nwcastle far from car friendly, suddenly appearing bus lanes with fines for entering and I bet there's a congestion / emission zone in there soon. And Richard Thompson also at the Sage - best of the three.

If you get a chance to see Gary Clarke Jnr - do it.

Johnny B