Sidecar in that there London

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bjork

Sidecar in that there London

Post by bjork »

A quick question for those of you in the London area. My bike is exempt the ULEZ and congestion charges by dint of it's historic registration. What I can't find on the websites for the two charges is any mention of sidecars? The bike is fitted with a sidecar so does that affect the charging status, do you know please?

I know it isn't the ideal vehicle for the capital streets but I do have a good reason for taking it there. :)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
SPRIDDLER

Re: Sidecar in that there London

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's based on the details on your V5c.
Enter your reg'n no. on the TFL ULEZ checker here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... ecker-ulez

The emissions come from the bike engine not the sidecar, unless...................(no, better not go there :o )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe the taxation for combination would be motor tricycle. But Spridlers info should answer your question .
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:I believe the taxation for combination would be motor tricycle. But Spridlers info should answer your question .
Always used to be that a motorcycle and sidecar was a motorcycle for taxation. A motor tricycle was one that had fixed axles which meant you could only use it as a three wheeler, with a normal sidecar you can remove the third wheel and the vehicle still works. So trikes with the frame based on a VW beetle could not have half the rear axle removed so would be a motor tricycle.

Maybe the law has changed..........
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Certainly changed over the years I have been on the road Clive. Guess I am not up to date. I recall my Reliant Tax class was Motor Tricycle. Perhaps my combo was motor cycle years ago. If not, I would have been braking the law when I rode it with the sidecar off.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Just checked my 1959 AJS trike and all ok.
Roy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Don't have to pay Congestion charge either -

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/conges ... his-page-1

No idea what T-charge is! Do they realikse how all this is a minefield for tourists?

Motorcycles also T-charge exempt but the three wheel issue not so clear:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissi ... ge-checker

But I think motorcycles & sidecars would be exempt in line with ULEZ as they are motorcycles not the things that one sees a lot of in Paris with two front wheels.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Rob perhaps you could have taken one of the wheels off your Reliant and ridden it as a motorcycle rather than a tricycle.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob, I had one and went from Middlesbrough to Cornwall and up to Scotland in it: not quickly but your legs were never cold! It was the "estate" and naughty boy even had 5 in it, one in the rear luggage area.

It was certainly cheap on petrol but I'd rather have another Bond 875 any day.

Surely they are low emission.

Johnny B
bjork

Post by bjork »

Thanks for the replies, I had been through the websites and also the check my reg number websites too. As I said at the beginning, my bike is exempt from all the current (and the new ones from 8t April!) charges but nowhere could I see a mention of sidecars. If all the planets are in alignment on the date I have in mind then I'll use the AJS+Monza sidecar. If I get suddenly sensible (also requires astronomical events) I'll use my modern Honda. The outfit would be fun though :)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today