What do I have here?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
itmonolith

What do I have here?

Post by itmonolith »

Hello all.
First off let me say that I have no experience with AJS bikes so forgive me for the horrible questions but I would love some help.
A relative has left me with a 1952 AJS. I have no information on it yet as far as paperwork goes so I don't know what it is.
I believe its a 500cc but again, I'm remote from it and only have some pics. I'm heading out this week to pick it up.

I'd love to know the basics on it starting with just the model. Going from there I'd love to know best steps to check it out, repair and fix some items. Looking at photos I can see fork seal leaks and some engine oil as well. Who knows what else. I know tank is rusty so that will have to be done at some point.
Here is link to the pics I have on it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LRvbMhU6G5BMuo9z9

Appreciate any help! Thank you.

p.s. I've owned/fixed/rebuilt a lot of motorcycles but nothing like this.. ;-)
Peter Morris

Re: What do I have here?

Post by Peter Morris »

The engine number will tell you what model it is, as long as it has it's original engine of course.

I am no expert but I think it's probably a Model 20 500cc twin. Engine number would usually be 52 20 ****, 52 being the year, 20 the model. I'll sit back now and wait to be told I'm wrong :rofl:
itmonolith

Post by itmonolith »

Thanks for quick reply. I'll know by tomorrow when I see it in person.

I love motorcycles but like I said I've never had anything this old, not even close. Can I assume I'm preaching to a choir if I ask if these are collectible bikes? Worth fixing?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

itmonolith wrote:Thanks for quick reply. I'll know by tomorrow when I see it in person.

I love motorcycles but like I said I've never had anything this old, not even close. Can I assume I'm preaching to a choir if I ask if these are collectible bikes? Worth fixing?
Would £3/5,000 be worth it? Once the bike has been I D you will be able to access literature on it. The bike is some 66 years old, they leaked when new, were noisy etc. So you need to compare with bikes over 60 years old.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Rob failed to mention, they dont like being woken up to quickly. get the engine to warm up fully before opening it up and they use old fashion oil. If you bother to get to know it, its a friendly bike. Did i mention, it doesnt go too fast either. Oh, and starting. they have levers on the handlebars that need setting and one big one on the right hand side of the gearbox, did i mention, they were/are heavy.
You have a gem. enjoy it.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

MalcW

Post by MalcW »

itmonolith wrote:Thanks for quick reply. I'll know by tomorrow when I see it in person.

You should find the engine number on the front of the LH crankcase, just under the dynamo, which will at least confirm the engine year. It is an earlier version, with the 4 bolt rocker covers.

As far as whether it's worth fixing, that's a personal thing and only you can decide that. It looks fairly complete, so if the motor turns over and the magneto gives a decent spark, you have a chance of getting it running, though you may need to clean out the carburettor first. Beyond that, you can go to whatever level you like. In the UK a complete, decent bike would sell for somewhere around £3500, give or take a few hundred. If you're into older bikes, or would like to be, then I would say it's worth doing on a personal satisfaction basis. If not, you would probably be better of selling it as it is, running but needs restoration.

Malc
Flash

Post by Flash »

A very nice bike and being 1952 you don't have to worry about the chrome work, as there wasn't any on the wheel rims etc due to the shortage at that year, just enjoy it Malcolm.

Regards Flash
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Flash

Malcolm hasn't got the the bike, that's me - I was replying to the OP. I've got a 1960 650.

cheers,

Malc
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Looks like it has an oil tap below the oil tank. Make sure you turn that on before starting!
John Marshall