Mystery Parts?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
cfaber

Mystery Parts?

Post by cfaber »

Here's a few parts that I had left over from the basket case build I've been working on. Any guesses what they might be?

The bike is a '54 18S with a B52 gear box

Here's a spacer which I'm not sure goes with this bike at all

And another spacer which appears to be the same metalized color as some other parts on the bike

This screw was ordered from the club but I can't recall what it goes to

And another mystery bolt from the club

Thanks in advance for helping solve my parts mystery!
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clive

Re: Mystery Parts?

Post by clive »

The first ring looks like the spacer that goes between the main bearing and the Dynamo/primary sprocket. Leave it out and your Dynamo chain will dig a groove in the crankcase housing for the main bearing.

Alternatively it could be the spacer behind the gearbox sprocket as it may be too big for above, maybe the second one is the above spacer.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

The bolt looks like the one for retaining the front fork stay, also used for attaching the right hand side of the mudguard brace to the fork slider, the left hand side should have a stud. Screw maybe for the timing cover.
clive
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote:The first ring looks like the spacer that goes between the main bearing and the Dynamo/primary sprocket. Leave it out and your Dynamo chain will dig a groove in the crankcase housing for the main bearing.

To proove the point.... This is what I found when I took my M18S apart. One of the previous owners was not too clever! Fortunately, the damage was superficial and while not good, it wasn't catastophic.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pharisee wrote:
clive wrote:The first ring looks like the spacer that goes between the main bearing and the Dynamo/primary sprocket. Leave it out and your Dynamo chain will dig a groove in the crankcase housing for the main bearing.

To proove the point.... This is what I found when I took my M18S apart. One of the previous owners was not too clever! Fortunately, the damage was superficial and while not good, it wasn't catastophic.

Looks like a spacer was not fitted by the damaged caused. Check those 3 slot head screws are correct, that fix to chain case to the crank case. Just my memory, but I'm sure they are wrong. If they come loose one could throw your chains.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Rob Harknett wrote:

Looks like a spacer was not fitted by the damaged caused. Check those 3 slot head screws are correct, that fix to chain case to the crank case. Just my memory, but I'm sure they are wrong. If they come loose one could throw your chains.
You're right... the spacer was missing. That was a while back. The spacer was refitted on assembly and the three screws were replaced with correct items from AMOC Spares.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

You're right... the spacer was missing. That was a while back. The spacer was refitted on assembly and the three screws were replaced with correct items from AMOC Spares.[/quote]

I think you will find the three screws are wrong. You need 000440 bolts and 000165 tab washers
Roy
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Ah yes, Clive correct, that is for the crank case here it is installed:

Also, I might have ordered that bolt for the front fender, it looks right.

Any ideas of the about the screw or the other spacer?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clive

Post by clive »

I thought the second spacer might be behind the sprocket on the gearbox for the final drive. If it is then it goes behind the sprocket to space it away from the bearing. The screw looks to be one of the timing case screws but I am not convinced of that how many have you got?
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like the correct screws and tab washers are now fitted. There was more than one type of spacer used, may be a good idea to check your parts list and make sure you have the correct spacer between sprocket & crank case.