Brake linings shortening ?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harry44

Re: Brake linings shortening ?

Post by Harry44 »

Mick D wrote:Hi John

Why did you go for compressing the levers rather than the rigid link?

Regards Mick
That's the way they were designed. Very much like a car front drum brake with snail cam adjusters inside the drum but operated by cable.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I found that on my TR6P the brakes worked well. It also handled well and was used quite hard two up with a homemade pad seat where the radio had been.

It was Linda's favourite motorcycle of all.

I used Sprid's suggestion on the G80S and glad I did, particularly when loaded up for rallies.

Johnny B
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

SPRIDDLER wrote:It must be the trailing end of the trailing shoe.
See the link below for my explanatory post and photos from 2013:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p115566

I recently re-wrote and expanded the above post as an article for the Jampot mag which may appear in due course.
Is it worth doing this for the rear also ?

Do you know if a reliner like Saftek could incorporate this modification at the time of relining ?
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SPRIDDLER wrote:It must be the trailing end of the trailing shoe.
See the link below for my explanatory post and photos from 2013:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 66#p115566

I recently re-wrote and expanded the above post as an article for the Jampot mag which may appear in due course.
Hi Neville, a good write up in the jampot, reading it a thought passed my mind would slightly shimming the leading shoe thrust pin only have the same effect of bring it into contact first or would the trailing shoe become too ineffective?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, I think it probably would have the same effect but (as you have intimated) a very thin shim would be needed as we need the leading end of the leading shoe to contact the drum only a couple of thou max 'ahead' of when the trailing shoe contacts the drum. This is because once any part of either shoe (lining) contacts the drum the expander won't turn any further (particularly with modern hard lining material), hence too thick a shim and the trailing shoe might not touch the drum at all.
One thing I meant to mention is that we have all noticed that the brake (either one) is even less effective in preventing the bike rolling backwards, say when holding the uphill-facing bike at a junction or traffic lights. This is because with the wheel trying to turn 'backwards' the carefully set up leading shoe has now become the trailing shoe.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Interesting Neville is that the photo that you have posted of the Ferodo linings, are the same a I fitted yesterday to a pair of shoes scrounged from the Chairman.
I did use Araldite as well as riveting.
These are to replace the Red bonded linings on my 1953 G80 CS, as this does not stop as well as my 1937 G8 Clubman which has original Ferodos.
I will post later after the lockdown is eased as it is currently stored in my son's garage as I have run out of space until the R7 is sold at Bonhams hopefully in August.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

39speedtwin wrote:Interesting Neville is that the photo that you have posted of the Ferodo linings, are the same a I fitted yesterday to a pair of shoes scrounged from the Chairman.
I did use Araldite as well as riveting.
These are to replace the Red bonded linings on my 1953 G80 CS, as this does not stop as well as my 1937 G8 Clubman which has original Ferodos.
I will post later after the lockdown is eased as it is currently stored in my son's garage as I have run out of space until the R7 is sold at Bonhams hopefully in August.
Yep, today's asbestos-free linings/pads are considerably harder but with hydraulics one can apply far more force than with a cable set-up which is why one has to replace discs so frequently. I never had to replace a brake drum back in the day no matter how many miles my old car ones had covered. Perhaps just a light skim if poverty meant I'd hung on to linings until the rivets scored the drum.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

MalcW wrote:I always thought that tapering the ends was to prevent brake squeal. I suspect that the real reason they don't do it is because as things stand they only have to make 1 brake shoe which works in either leading or trailing positions. To do it differently would require 2 different shoes, i.e. more effort. Plus there is the risk that someone will install them the wrong way round of course.
The shoes are handed because the pivot point has a flat on the top meaning the shoe can only be fitted one way, so brake shoes were manufactured as a pair and there was no risk of them being fitted the wrong way round. My guess the reason they did not cut the trailing one short was because they were riveted linings rather than bonded ones. In his article Spriddler points not to do it on a riveted lining. Also the motorcyclist of the day may well have rejected a pair of shoes which had a short lining on one, damaged goods!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix