It had more joints than the Glastonbury Festival

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

It had more joints than the Glastonbury Festival

Post by Plugsnpoints »

But it was very satisfying stripping out the 61 year old cables and installing a nice new wiring loom supplied by Colin Farrington. There's not an inch of insulting ( :lol: ) tape on the bike now. It is spot on. He's a nice fella as well.
Iron Head

Re: It had more joints than the Glastonbury Festival

Post by Iron Head »

Colin is making me a loom for my G80CS using my original Lucas QD plug and socket and has been very helpful and communicative so far. The wiring diagram he sent me will be invaluable when I come to connect up.

Iron Head
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Iron Head wrote:Colin is making me a loom for my G80CS using my original Lucas QD plug and socket and has been very helpful and communicative so far. The wiring diagram he sent me will be invaluable when I come to connect up.

Iron Head
You won't be disappointed. I'm a fussy git when it comes to electrics and everything is spot on. It was made to order. The connectors are neat and substantial, and it is very tidy. The only things I added were a kill switch and a 15a fuse for peace of mind.

I thought I'd get away with using the original ignition/light switch, but the more I looked at it, it bothered me, so I bought a new one to finish the job off properly.

Just for the record I'd never spoken to him before this.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Colin is an affable chap, I met him at the NEC a few yrs ago, mind you the wiring loom on a G80cs is so simple I made my own from a diagram in the book by Bernard Osborne, is it? kind regards
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Take my hat off to you Goldstar making your own loom. I can tackle pretty much anything mechanical but I know any loom I made would look like a birds nest?! I suspect also that by the time you have bought all the correct colours and gauges of wire plus terminals, sheathing etc and made up a measured layout template there wouldn't be much in it cost-wise?

Iron Head
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I've made the wiring looms for all of my bikes. It really isn't difficult. I invariably start at the back end with the rear and stop lights and work my way forward, terminating or adding wires as necessary. I wrap the loom with Tesa harness tape as I go and secure it to the frame where appropriate. Never had a problem. Our old bikes are so simple when it comes to wiring.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Pharisee wrote:I've made the wiring looms for all of my bikes. It really isn't difficult. I invariably start at the back end with the rear and stop lights and work my way forward, terminating or adding wires as necessary. I wrap the loom with Tesa harness tape as I go and secure it to the frame where appropriate. Never had a problem. Our old bikes are so simple when it comes to wiring.
I agree it isn't hard to do, I gave it some serious thought before I bought the loom.

What put me off was the time faffing about measuring it all and soldering the bullets/spades/rings, plus the fact I would've ended up with lots of spare cable that I'd probably never use. It was more cost effective for me to have a purpose built loom at a sensible price sent through the post in a few days. The only alteration I made was to fit an inline 15a spade fuse. :)

What I would recommend buying is a 'push together' tool for the brass bullets. It makes life so much easier.