Escape to France

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Re: Escape to France

Post by clive »

Saturday morning we took a stroll round Argenton-sur-Creuse. We are staying in the house top left on the skyline.
20190413_103337_resized.jpg
Then after a long lunch we went for a 50 mile ride. Strangely the Honda CX500 club seemed to be mostly on BMWs. Bit like an AMOC run really!
20190413_151647_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
REW

Post by REW »

This is a great trip Clive (and Reg) - kudos and envy! Really enjoying the photos too, thanks.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Wonderful, most envious!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
clive

Post by clive »

So two trips Saturday and Sunday one 60 miles one 80 miles. This involved coffee and lunch stops plus visits to an 1100 year old church. Strange tradition there was a small statue with a proud member, locals stroke it they want to get pregnant! No idea where most of the pics were taken! Getting the uploaded file is empty message again so will try later.
clive
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:Strange tradition there was a small statue with a proud member, locals stroke it they want to get pregnant!
Shame you can't remember where that was, although it wouldn't help much as I couldn't stand as still as you.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Still "file empty" so I cannot post the photo of said member Sprids. Yesterday 120 miles to Saumaur via lunch on a fallen tree up a forest road. Trouble was it seemed to be a shortcut and the local post van covered us it dust as it sailed past. A rest stop for coffee in Richilieu.
Weather looks less promising today with 150 miles to cover.
clive
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you and Reg plan another escape, can I tag along. Looks really nice and the sort of thing I'm planning to do after the IJR in June.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Very envious of your trip. A pal and I used to do the same thing years ago, admittedly as club members in our B*W cars, with our wive's and thoroughly enjoyed every occasion.

Apart from the cameradery aspect, France and it's people offer much to be enjoyed.

Alas, those times have long gone, along with my pal.

Hope you continue to enjoy yourselves.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
clive

Post by clive »

The 150 mile section on Tuesday started with the roads wet and continued with on and off drissle. My little screen proved useful. By mid afternoon it had dried up and we got to our hotel 3/4 hour before reception opened at 6.30pm forcing us to find a local bar whilst we waited. The final leg on Wednesday was 100 to Dieppe and a four hour crossing. We finally turned up at our hotel in Lower Dicker at 11pm only to find they again had not got our booking properly sorted. We got a room OK in the end fortunately.

Thursday we made an early start and my journey went downhill. With Reg going one way and I another I did not have him to follow so turned the wrong way out of the hotel which I finally passed again about 10 miles later. Easter traffic seemed mad after our days hardly seeing a car. After a while I hit a roundabout with 5 roads off all jammed. I decided to filter between 2 lines of traffic and bouncing off the stationary cars I heard ting ting ting on the left hand side from the chain and a squeak on the right from the tyre. Now this had probably been happening all the time we were away but I foolishly decided to try to adjust the chainguard again. Only made it significantly worse. So after another fruitless attempt I decided the chainguard had to come off. And what a mess it made of my hands doing the job.

So 975 miles covered and the chainguard strapped to the carrier for the last 30 miles. It looks like there is plenty of room so the cause is probably the wrong mountings on the guard. sorry but I have Given up trying to load photos.
clive
REW

Post by REW »

Well done Clive, great write up, thanks.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.