Escape to France

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Escape to France

Post by clive »

The International is in the UK this year so RegGreen and I are flexing our EU muscles whilst we still can on a trip to France. My ride to Newhaven did not go well. First one mirror came loose and i dropped the bike as i got off to sort it out. This bent the clutch lever. Then the new rear tyre (400 by 19) was rubbing on the chainguard which needed "adjusting". Then the rear indicator came loose and finally the valve lifter snapped off leaving just enough lever to still operate. Days 2 and 3 less eventfl on back roads seeing next to no traffic. About 200 miles covered so far.
alanjennings

Re: Escape to France

Post by alanjennings »

I am off to Newhaven in two weeks time with " tin tent" and morini en route to Sicily-Hope you have taken all the gremlins !!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

clive wrote:The International is in the UK this year so RegGreen and I are flexing our EU muscles whilst we still can on a trip to France. My ride to Newhaven did not go well. First one mirror came loose and i dropped the bike as i got off to sort it out. This bent the clutch lever. Then the new rear tyre (400 by 19) was rubbing on the chainguard which needed "adjusting". Then the rear indicator came loose and finally the valve lifter snapped off leaving just enough lever to still operate. Days 2 and 3 less eventfl on back roads seeing next to no traffic. About 200 miles covered so far.
Its all in the preparation. :lol: what bike are you on.?
Roy
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Alan, I will tell my Sicilian friends (M) that you are coming, don't forget your wet weather gear as there are currently storms in Italy, I am currently near Rome. Apparently the Italians have no problem over the dreaded Brexit as most of those in their 20's are in London. Regards Dudley
clive

Post by clive »

I am on the home made 1951/2/4 ajs model 18 S. I had a 60 mile run with no problems just before i left! Reg is onn his 54 350.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

First night Cailly-sur-Eure second night Beaugency beside the Loire. Will try to upload some photos later but for now we are late getting out of our room.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure I read somewhere that new regulations are now in force driving overseas. It may only refer to ex pats living overseas that have only a GB licence. Can't remember.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:I am sure I read somewhere that new regulations are now in force driving overseas. It may only refer to ex pats living overseas that have only a GB licence. Can't remember.
I think that's a possibility depending upon how we leave the E.U. I'm going over (Newhaven - Dieppe) on May 3rd riding the 'Mutchless' and my son on his Kawasaki. As a precaution I took a photo from a Tesco booth to the post office and got my Int'l Driving Licence for £5.50 in 10 minutes. My insurers sent me a Green Card FOC.
I wouldn't have bothered but he's working and can't just chop and change his holiday dates if travel document requirements changed.
Incidentally, DFDS don't normally give refunds if you cancel a crossing but just allow you to amend your travel dates for a small charge. However, when I booked they told me that in view of the drop in bookings due to the uncertainty with Brexit they now will give a refund for cancellations. On the News yesterday Brittany Ferries said their bookings are down 10%.

Sorry you've had a few incidents, Clive, but isn't that part of the adventure? ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do believe what I read is already in place. It also differs in countries. I recall years ago I got my International drivers licence from the AA. So I could drive in the then, Eastern block countries where my GB licence was not acceptable.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

You have to wear 'approved' gloves now...
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.