Lucas switch question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Lucas switch question

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how to locate a switch bezel/escutcheon for my late 1957 coil ignition M16, with a PRS8 combined ignition/light switch.

I've got the 1958 Lucas parts catalogue and they list part numbers 318942 and 351803.

I bought two in error recently, one was for a Tiger Cub with a PRS8 (part No. 318343) an the other was for a 41SA switch. The Triumph one's diameter was too big and the 41SA one was too small.

The 351803 ones are available, but have been informed these are for another type (88SA) and are too small.

Does anyone know where I might find such a thing?

Thank you!

Andy
Rob Harknett

Re: Lucas switch question

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do you have the correct headlamp?
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Rob Harknett wrote:Do you have the correct headlamp?
It's the right headlight as far as I know.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

So you have a 1957 bike that I am sure should be SR1 mag. ing. But it has coil ign. ( must have a later engine ?? )So you have got to match 58 parts with your 57 parts ( if it can be done )
You can compare Lucas differences 57 /58 here. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... 1950-1969/ Only you can see what is right and wrong with your bike, to try and get parts to match wrong parts, which may mean having more wrong parts. If you compare 57 /58 Lucas lists, you may discover where your problem is and how you can resolve it. I have had a quick look and it appears the 57 lighting or 58 lighting+ ignition switch should fit OK, if it does not, why not ?? Maybe you can see in the parts list if you do have the correct headlamp.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hi Rob, thanks for your message, my bike is essentially a 1958 model with coil ignition and alternator, registered in November 1957. It is pretty much all original, including the headlight. It was the first year they ditched the mag.

All I am asking for is does anyone know where I might be able locate a bezel for the PRS8 switch. I know they made them as I have one on the bike.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Norvil stock item 351803

http://www.norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/351803.htm

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
ksg

Post by ksg »

There on e bay £5 95 inc post
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Plugsnpoints wrote:Hi Rob, thanks for your message, my bike is essentially a 1958 model with coil ignition and alternator, registered in November 1957. It is pretty much all original, including the headlight. It was the first year they ditched the mag.

All I am asking for is does anyone know where I might be able locate a bezel for the PRS8 switch. I know they made them as I have one on the bike.
Sorry, I was not aware a bezle would be available, not got a bike that has a switch bezel except on my prewar bikes. But you got the answer eventually.
Sometimes it takes a few perhaps wrong replies, before someone will come up with the result you need.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

cbranni wrote:Norvil stock item 351803

http://www.norvilmotorcycle.co.uk/351803.htm

Colin
Thanks everyone, but I'm still stuck. The Norvil one is not the correct item unfortunately. I'm after a 318942 Bezel.

I'm sure one will turn up eventually, but I'm not sure where at the moment!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Could you have the one you've got re-chromed?
Dave