What I've noticed since I have returned

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dave16mct

Re: What I've noticed since I have returned

Post by dave16mct »

Is that before you take your helmet off?
Dave.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Sadly ..... yes :rofl:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

I think we are responsible in part at least.

We are the ones who have lusted after the bikes and not only ridden them but collected them thus the price has crept up to the point where they are worth buying by non enthusiasts just as investments. An upwards spiral. I wouldn't suggest for a minute that people stop collecting bikes but a couple of ideas would be: Take every opportunity to display all of your bikes (maybe sections could arrange a venue and get all of their bikes there); Invite others ( maybe train up a youngster) to ride your extra bikes on runs and outings -yes it's a risk but at least you get to see your bikes running.

Just a thought.

All the best
John
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

AJS motorcycles are far from dead, we are one of the strongest brands still in the market, our brand is out there still being sold, AJS Motorcycles Ltd are training people to ride motorcycles, one of the biggest barriers to riding an old thumper, is a motorcycle license.

Here is their own image of themselves,
AJS Cadwell 125.jpg
Here is an example of a modern AJS,
AJS Tempest.jpg
https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk

This is how we engage with the young, they have then invested in us, my website tells the story of the AJS Stormer, up to the present day, but it also gives young people a history lesson, they don't know the history of British motorcycles. The AJS Stormer links AMC through NVT to AJS Motorcycles Ltd, it took me about 5 years to create, and a year to put it online, Fluff Brown understood how to engage with the young by sponsoring and creating pre 65 and other motocross events. This helped keep the AJS Stormer in production into the 1980's and beyond. Then Nick Brown bought in the Chinese built AJS machines, to expensive to build in the UK, which were aimed at the learner riders, more bums on seats, now he has extended the range up to 350cc machines, so we have young people riding and owning AJS motorcycles.

If you buy an old thumper, no MOT, no TAX, all you need is insurance, the bike you can sell for more or less what you paid for it, it's a no brainer, even the younger generation will see this, and they may want one of our machines in the future, I sort of want one of theirs.

https://ajsstormer.wordpress.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've been watching this thread with quite mixed feelings until last night. I went for a pootle to Knott End (well known bike meet opposite Fleetwood). The only old Brit bike there was me although that doesn't mean that there weren't some before I got there. The crowd was the usual dayglow gang and Harley farmers. Not a sniff! Now I'm not claiming that the beast is a superior representation of British motorcycle engineering but she is pretty as a picture and plays a lovely tune. Not a sausage of interest.

My opinion is that the Dayglows (we'll forget about the Harleys at this point they have their own issues to deal with) haven't got a clue what they're looking at. They bend their knees and point at a Kazazomba 1220 with overhead bucket spill and yard rope. nodding knowingly at each other and I'm thinking "you're pointing at something you can't even see because it's hidden behind a plastic cover." They simply haven't got a clue about our chosen motorcycle lifestyle; and it is a lifestyle.

Let's be honest. Pressing the button, off we go and get there comfortably and reliably is very appealing. Who could blame someone for wanting to get on with motorcycling instead of tinkering. But tinkering is again a major part of our motorcycling lifestyle. We grew up with lego, meccano, helping dad/grandad fix things in the shed/garage. We developed a Frankenstein joy of creating a heart beat out of lumps of metal laboriously and lovingly joined together then riding it down the road with a look that screamed "I built this"

We live in a throw away world with built in obsolescence. The attitude being don't fix it, throw it away instead. To be honest working on a big modern bike is a night mare best performed by NASA scientists.

I'm not convinced that our lifestyle is under threat of extinction as there will always be folk that have an interest in historic vehicles but I am convinced that the up and coming generations are missing out on the great joy and satisfaction of building and maintaining their own transport.

PS. On the way home as I trundled along at 50mph with a smile as wide as a Cheshire cat I was passed by a Yamahoogy 99 change hands doing at least the ton. It's not when you get there that counts but how.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

spookefoote1956 wrote:We live in a throw away world with built in obsolescence. The attitude being don't fix it, throw it away instead. To be honest working on a big modern bike is a night mare best performed by NASA scientists.

I'm not convinced that our lifestyle is under threat of extinction as there will always be folk that have an interest in historic vehicles but I am convinced that the up and coming generations are missing out on the great joy and satisfaction of building and maintaining their own transport.
There seems to be bit of a change going on re. chucking things away, mainly for environmental reasons. There are more and more repair cafes popping up where you can take your toaster/lamp/cuddly toy etc. and either get it fixed, or get help and advice to fix it yourself. I'm not sure what reaction you would get if you wheeled a dead motorcycle in though.

I agree that there will always be a people with an interest in historic vehicles, but in the end it all comes down to the numbers. If numbers start to dwindle significantly, it won't be practical for those who provide parts and services to keep trading. Keeping a vehicle going will get harder, so numbers will dwindle more, etc. etc.

Malc
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

I have ridden "modern" bikes most of my life though they are now elligible for VMCC membership being a 1994 VFR750 and a 1981 Montesa 349!
I'm just now, at 57, taking my first steps into Matchless ownership having bought a 1959 ex AFS G3LS. I have a little work to do on it before I can fully enjoy it but I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running when I can get the elusive oil pump plunger that is.........
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

spookefoote1956 wrote:The crowd was the usual dayglow gang and Harley farmers. Not a sniff! Now I'm not claiming that the beast is a superior representation of British motorcycle engineering but she is pretty as a picture and plays a lovely tune. Not a sausage of interest.
My opinion is that the Dayglows (we'll forget about the Harleys at this point they have their own issues to deal with) haven't got a clue what they're looking at.
I assume that they are "farmers" because they ride tractors. I was a fruit grower for many years, so must qualify to be a Harley Horticulturist.
If you had arrived to find a Matchless "X" or similar, no doubt you would have been overjoyed. I rode a similar bike (Royal Enfield KX 1140) for some 25 years. I had more enjoyment with it than with any other motorcycle I have owned. So much so that in my dotage I ride an 883 Sportster (and a G3L).
Indeed, Frank Westworth (of this parish) always seems to have one in his stable. What are the "issues" that H-D owners are deemed to have? They are just as happy as you, pottering along at 50-60 with the wind blowing in their matt black encased faces!

The Sportie is the nearest thing to the Enfield, and the other pre-war british v-twins, that could be imagined. Same ride, engine sound, massive torque, riding position, but with an electric starter, good lights and (a bit) more poke. Have you ever chatted to the owner of one, or ridden a similar model? Nobody was interested in your bike, did you show any interest in theirs?

Just wondered