Unusual tools

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
PGGuse

Re: Unusual tools

Post by PGGuse »

...instead of "weekly quiz" :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Couldn't manage without my 'SpridSpark' mag tester.
CIMG0028 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Couldn't manage without my 'SpridSpark' mag tester.
CIMG0028 (640x480).jpg
OUCH!!! :rofl:
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Not so unusual but definitely some of the most used tools in my collection with at least a few usages on every project I work on

My love for this tool is magnetic :lol:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

cfaber wrote:Not so unusual but definitely some of the most used tools in my collection with at least a few usages on every project I work on

My love for this tool is magnetic :lol:
I can see the attraction for that :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

MalcW wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:A couple of chums find plastic milk bottles a great convenience when camping.............
For when they make a cup of tea, of course...

Malc
For years I have been using a plastic bottle which can be filled with oil. Drill a hole in the screw on cap. Get a valve from an old inner tube. The type that's fixed by two nuts. Remove the valve core, fit the valve into the screw on cap. Slip a piece of tubing on the valve. Ideal for pumping oil in Chain case gear box ext. It's not different to a bottle of distilled water, except you have a sturdy cap / nozzle that will not pop off.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

I have several old Schrader valves that I've dutifully removed from old inner tubes, 'because they will come in useful one day' - now I know the use they're destined for - excellent idea :beer:

The tool that's most used in my restorations?
Swann-Morton.png
Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The inner tube valves are also handy for other substances. Like white PVA glue. ( This is for the wood workers here that may have bulk amounts of glue or a small plastic bottle the glue came in ) Use a suitable squeeze bottle with a screw on cap, with the valve fitted. You can then keep refilling it. Use the valve dust cap to seal it when not in use. You may also like to use the dust cap on the oil bottle to seal it. Running a drill through the valve can open it up a bit to increase flow. I did that when working in the wood working trade years ago when jobs we timed for bonus. Normal plastic bottle spouts were soon worn out, they were also slow in use due to the small glue delivery hole. As these bottles saw a lot of use, a washer under each nut secured the valve better, extending the life of the cap. I am still using such a bottle I made in the 1970's. When I buy a bottle of PVA glue I transfer it to this bottle. Using the dust cap also prevents glue going hard in the nozzle.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Thanks Rob

I have several old Schrader valves that I've dutifully removed from old inner tubes, 'because they will come in useful one day' - now I know the use they're destined for - excellent idea :beer:

The tool that's most used in my restorations?
Swann-Morton.png
Regards Mick
That's a sturdy craft knife Mick, very sharp, replaceable blades, far better than a Stanley knife for delicate work. Ideal for gasket making / cutting white plastic numbers from stick on sheet. etc.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did not carry but found, Plastic drinking straws handy. I had the heat sink fell loose on my G12 CSR hanging on by its wire only.. I pulled into a layby and found fly tippers had left a load of rubbish inc the plastic straws. I tied the heat sink back on with the knotted drinking straws. I was on my way for an M o T, none of my lights or horn worked. Fuse blown due to heat sink arcing when it fell loose. Same night coming home from a run to my section, one buy one all my bulbs blew. When I pulled up at my drive, put the brakes on and blew the stoplight bulb.