S.491/3/L Smiths Chronometric

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

S.491/3/L Smiths Chronometric

Post by Iron Head »

I seem to have exhausted all avenues but can anyone advise any additional thoughts on trying to track down the above good, bad or ugly for my ‘54 G80CS? If not, I was also wondering if perhaps anyone can advise next nearest Smiths model from a revolutions per mile/physical size, 120 mph perspective. The Smiths numbering system is certainly challenging but I'm sure makes total sense to the educated!

Thanks in advance

Iron Head
Pharisee

Re: S.491/3/L Smiths Chronometric

Post by Pharisee »

Have you tried Russell at Chronometric Instrument Services in Nottingham? He has racks full of old instruments in his workshop. He was a service engineer at Smiths before setting up C.I.S. and is very familiar with their products.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks John! C.I.S. have two in stock, the only struggle I now have would be putting an immaculate chronometric on an all original oily rag bike?!

Iron Head
clive

Post by clive »

Iron Head wrote:Thanks John! C.I.S. have two in stock, the only struggle I now have would be putting an immaculate chronometric on an all original oily rag bike?!

Iron Head
I can swop you a tatty bezel and a scratched glass for your good ones. :twisted:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Might not be a bad idea Clive if you could also swap a case and the correct dial all nicely patinated i.e. knackered?!........
clive

Post by clive »

Iron Head wrote:Might not be a bad idea Clive if you could also swap a case and the correct dial all nicely patinated i.e. knackered?!........
I probably could, better go off line and message you or I will be telling myself off!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote:
Iron Head wrote:Might not be a bad idea Clive if you could also swap a case and the correct dial all nicely patinated i.e. knackered?!........
I probably could, better go off line and message you or I will be telling myself off!
Typical copper! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: