Les Smith RIP 21.10.51 - 17.4.19

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lawrence

Les Smith RIP 21.10.51 - 17.4.19

Post by lawrence »

From Jon Martin:

It is with sadness that I have learned of the death of Les Smith following a long illness. Les died on 17th April 2019 aged 67.

Les was the founder member of the Heart of England section of the AJS and Matchless Club. If my memory serves me right, we held the first meeting of Heart of England about forty-two years ago in his front room at Deanshanger. There were about eight of us present, including Conway who still attends. From there we outgrew his living room and moved to a pub in Stony Stratford for a number of years. Since then we've moved venues (pubs!) several times and our section has steadily expanded.

After marriage, Les moved up to Leicestershire and became an active member of the Vintage Club, in particular the Taverner Section, where he was deeply involved in the Founder's Day rallies.
All those who knew Les would agree that he was a font of information on AMCs and only too willing to share his vast knowledge. He was a gentle soul and popular with all who knew him. He will be sadly missed.

Les leaves his two children, Howard and Debbie and his Mum, Joyce, who was a keen supporter and a rock during his long illness.

The funeral is to be held on 8th May at 12:00pm at Buckingham Church.

Jon Martin
Rob Harknett

Re: Les Smith RIP 21.10.51 - 17.4.19

Post by Rob Harknett »

Very sad indeed. I was wondering why I had not seen him about much lately. Perhaps because I have not been about so much? It must have been all of 10 years ago. I recall seeing him with his Mum in a caravan at Jampot Rally 2009. Rest in peace Les.
rex.webb

Re: Les Smith RIP 21.10.51 - 17.4.19

Post by rex.webb »

Sad to hear this . Thinking of all the family at this time ..
r w webb