Mod and rockers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Mod and rockers

Post by 56G80S »

The other year I was concerned about oil feed to rockers and did a similar thing with the side off a Washing machine tabs tub. Took all of 15 minutes from start to finish.

Hit the kill button pretty quick when I saw the oil squirting from the little jets in the rocker box.

Then back on with the proper cover.

Johnny B
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I took on board what Rob Harknett suggested, and made a new cover from polycarbonate today. I know it's not to everyone's taste but I like it :oops:

What intrigues me is why the pushrods rotate. I realise the need for this,(to even out wear and lubrication) but don't understand what makes them turn.

Can anyone please explain this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Fri May 17, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1608 »

I believe the tappet face is slightly angled by design for this very purpose. Not 100% on this though.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote:What intrigues me is why the pushrods rotate. I realise the need for this,(to even out wear and lubrication) but don't understand what makes them turn. Can anyone explain this?
As I understand it the valve cams contact the tappets off-centre in order that the tappet rotates to even out wear (i.e. distribute the wear over all of the tappet foot), therefore the pushrods (resting on the tappets) also tend to turn.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote: The possibilities are endless. What next? An oil sight glass on the tank? (that would be useful, as you could see the oil return). A level indicator on my lunch box? :lol:
Hmm, maybe I'll make one for Thrifty Peter's wallet so in the Jampot beer tent he'll have no excuse for not buying a round. :roll: (I've already made a spare key ;) )

Nev, you realise he's going to change the lock when he sees this don't you?