Insurance for passengers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Antoni

Insurance for passengers

Post by Antoni »

Just renewed my insurance with Haggerty (cheapest for the cover needed), rang back and queried the legality of carrying a pillion without pillion insurance.

They confirmed that it is not illegal to carry a passenger without their cover, just that in an accident which was my fault, any harm to my passenger would not be covered.

Then they said that there is no additional premium for carrying passengers (!) So I asked why they asked the question. I didn't fully understand the answer but did not want to string out the conversation.

You can take the odd passenger without passenger cover. News to me.
Rob Harknett

Re: Insurance for passengers

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure there's no law against carrying and pillion passenger on a solo, once you have passed your test. Except for hire or reward. If you have no insurance cover, it could be very costly. Always wise to check if you are insured. These days you do not get everything that could result in a claim being covered. Bits and pieces all come now as extras, at extra cost of cause. In your case you were told no extra premium, so it was left out. So you meet any claim instead of them.
laxy

Post by laxy »

New one on me this. With car insurance you would expect your pasengers to be covered without having to pay an extra premium. Why would it be different for a motorcycle assuming of course a dual seat and foot pegs are fitted.
LynP

Post by LynP »

I remember back around the late 1960's/70's when renewing my motorcycle insurance being told it was now the law that pillion passenger had to be covered and that had meant a rise in the motorcycle premiums, my brother said the same happened to him. The question is when did this requirement end? If it did end why was it not clear in renewal documents as you would expect premiums were never reduced. Does anyone else remember any of this?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

LynP wrote:I remember back around the late 1960's/70's when renewing my motorcycle insurance being told it was now the law that pillion passenger had to be covered and that had meant a rise in the motorcycle premiums, my brother said the same happened to him. The question is when did this requirement end? If it did end why was it not clear in renewal documents as you would expect premiums were never reduced. Does anyone else remember any of this?
They take items off when officering new insurance, so you pay more. But you may not notice this until you read your policy. So listen or read very carefully when you renew. I discovered my no claims bonus protection was removed. But not until I got the next years renewal and noticed Break down recovery had been taken off, to arrive at the renewal price quote.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

But what exactly is the passenger insurance covering ayway? Damage caused to the passenger or by the passenger in the event of an accident?

My insurance policy with Peter James states that one of the benefits of the policy is "legal liability for death or injury to any other person including passengers". Other benefits included agreed value, unlimited mileage, multi bike and a very reasonable renewal premium (Note: This is not an advert just a statement of the facts ;) ) I assume that if I was unfortunate enough to have an accident with a passenger on board (highly unlikely that I will ever carry one anyway) then any claims against me by the passenger were covered?

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Rob Harknett wrote:
LynP wrote:I remember back around the late 1960's/70's when renewing my motorcycle insurance being told it was now the law that pillion passenger had to be covered and that had meant a rise in the motorcycle premiums, my brother said the same happened to him. The question is when did this requirement end? If it did end why was it not clear in renewal documents as you would expect premiums were never reduced. Does anyone else remember any of this?
They take items off when officering new insurance, so you pay more. But you may not notice this until you read your policy. So listen or read very carefully when you renew. I discovered my no claims bonus protection was removed. But not until I got the next years renewal and noticed Break down recovery had been taken off, to arrive at the renewal price quote.
I too remember the hoo-ha about passenger insurance becoming compulsory and lots of debate about premiums being hiked up . Never heard anything to suggest this was still not the case .
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

AS I SEE STATED EARLIER :
Unread postby Group Leader » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:39 pm

But what exactly is the passenger insurance covering ayway? Damage caused to the passenger or by the passenger in the event of an accident?

My insurance policy with Peter James states that one of the benefits of the policy is "legal liability for death or injury to any other person including passengers". Other benefits included agreed value, unlimited mileage, multi bike and a very reasonable renewal premium (Note: This is not an advert just a statement of the facts ;) ) I assume that if I was unfortunate enough to have an accident with a passenger on board (highly unlikely that I will ever carry one anyway) then any claims against me by the passenger were covered?

Alan
I am also insured with PETER JAMES .
I WILL CONTACT THEM TO CHECK MY INSURANCE COVER ?
r w webb
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

This is from Peter James.

Riding your motorcycle
We will insure you for all the amounts you may have to pay for:
â–  death of or bodily injury to any other person; or â–  damage to property; as a result of any accident you have while you are driving, using or in charge of your motorcycle.
Roy