Burman clutch plates from India

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
39speedtwin

Burman clutch plates from India

Post by 39speedtwin »

Further to my posting on the IJR page, here is a photo of the Indian clutch plates.
On testing the friction plates with a pointer, the ferrodo is much softer on the Indian than the originals. This is probably the reason why they stick when hot.
The steel plates are about 25 thou thinner than the original ones.
Photo shows 2 steel stuck to a friction and steel and friction.
The friction have a blue/grey paint on them.
39speedtwin

Re: Burman clutch plates from India

Post by 39speedtwin »

Hopefully here is the photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dudley, picture works works well but my understanding doesn't. How the heck does the steel "wold" to a non-ferrous surface? Or do I completely misunderstand the nature of the friction material? Can you explain it

Fortunately I haven't needed to replace any clutch parts for the AMC box that's in now in quite some time. I did for a short period run a CP clutch with a GB box but the plates were old ones and very little worn; although I had other problems, there were none with the plates.

In any case I usually get this stuff from the Club or Steve Surbey (refer to Rob's comment in the IJR thread).

Johnny B
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Johnny, the friction plates appear soft and sticky, so I think that they softened when hot due to that semi off road stretch before we got to Sheringham. It was dragging on arrival at the station car park, then got stuck, photo shows the steel plates stuck to the friction.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

39speedtwin wrote:Johnny, the friction plates appear soft and sticky, so I think that they softened when hot due to that semi off road stretch before we got to Sheringham. It was dragging on arrival at the station car park, then got stuck, photo shows the steel plates stuck to the friction.
Time to name and shame where did they come from was it EBay, or had you all read cooked them running with no oil in the chain case before Rob set it up?
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

39speedtwin wrote:Johnny, the friction plates appear soft and sticky, so I think that they softened when hot due to that semi off road stretch before we got to Sheringham. It was dragging on arrival at the station car park.......
Funny that i managed the "semi off road" section two up with no clutch slip. I did enjoy your "ride em cowboy" impression in the station car park though. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix