Avon speedmasters

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Avon speedmasters

Post by mikeydpippin »

Has anyone had any problems with Avon speedmaster ribbed tyres.
I ve been experiencing a slight up and down wobble on the front wheel, and when feeling the tread at the centre point of the tyre I notice there is an up and down high and low spots on the tread, feels like slight dents,but only in the centre treads.
Due for a change anyway, I have a Mitas to replace it with.
Mike
56G80S

Re: Avon speedmasters

Post by 56G80S »

Long time since I used Speedmasters, now use Roadriders, but the symptom you mention sounds more like tyre not seated evenly around the rim. I have also, apparently unusually, balanced the front wheel after fitting new tyre.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

I wondered about the fitting of the tyre too if the wobble is up and down. As to the high and low spots on the centre tread, when it is first supplied there are small spaces in the 3 centre rib treads, I wonder if it has now worn down so they just appear as up and down highlights. Finally if the front wheel is wobbling side to side in use it is worth looking at the rear wheel to see if it wobbles side to side. If it does it can induce a wobble at the front at certain speeds and as Johnny says also look at the front wheel balance.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I've fitted a new Speedmaster to the front wheel and an SM on the rear of my G3/LS. Both wheels were balanced statically with around 10gm being used on both wheels. I've not experienced any 'wobble' and both tyres appear to run true with no eccentricity.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Confession time. The amount of balancing I needed to do was increased because I forgot to put the tyre on with the correct part opposite the valve! After the hard work of fitting the tyre I was reluctant to take the correct remedial step.

It's now due for replacement in the winter as I usually do this a while before the legal limit.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

I did make a comment, now covered, but it disappeared into the ether!! As for mitas tyres they are o.k. but don't last as long as avons- but are cheaper! Take your choice!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Your too heavy with the right hand Alan, you've forgotten the throttle goes the other way