the wrong tank

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ksj_LAPSED

the wrong tank

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

I am re- building a 1960 G3 converted to a G80 , the petrol tank that came with it is the wrong one as it has four tapped plates on the bottom to take the bolts that hold it to the frame. would it work if I welded two studs or hooks to the back of the tank and use a rubber band to hold it down ? or would the front frame bracket be wrongly placed ?
Rob Harknett

Re: the wrong tank

Post by Rob Harknett »

ID the tank and advertise for a swap.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I bought my tank for the Beast from India. Described as a G3L comp tank. It is mounted on acetal bobbins with 10mm stainless stud bar. The front mounts go straight to the frame mounts but the rear ones I fabricated some extension bars from 25 x 3 mild steel to reach the rear tank holes. Looks and works well.

Cheers, Chris. Hope this helps.
tank mount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi I think the tank you need has three mounting points - two at the front sides of the tank and a rear tongue mount which bolts to the frame.

Check out this listing on ebay 173983263292 this looks exactly like my 1961 G3 Tank.

I really wanted to post some more pictures but the file size's are too big and i don't know how to make it smaller!!
G3 Tank 1 (2).PNG

Not bad if you can't get a 2nd hand one - These guys always take an offer so go in low.

Cheers

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Is that the same as the Norton tank?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein