Oil again

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Oil again

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote:The gearbox changes gears as it should until after a good run.
Then as the gearbox warms up it changes gear albeit seems a bit dry and not so easy to change.
It's yer ankle, Mickeydrippin.
I use 20/w50 in the primary chaincase as well.
I've only ever used 20/50 in my Minis back in the day (Duckhams, of course ;) )
It's only hearsay but I've heard that 20/50 has a 'slip' additive and isn't ideal on the clutch plates. Just hearsay.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
mikeydpippin wrote:The gearbox changes gears as it should until after a good run.
Then as the gearbox warms up it changes gear albeit seems a bit dry and not so easy to change.
It's yer ankle, Mickeydrippin.
I use 20/w50 in the primary chaincase as well.
I've only ever used 20/50 in my Minis back in the day (Duckhams, of course ;) )
It's only hearsay but I've heard that 20/50 has a 'slip' additive and isn't ideal on the clutch plates. Just hearsay.
I find this mildy amusing. As I said in my previous post I have been reading old Jampots (I know-I need to get out more!) and the conversations were exactly the same in the early 1970s in regards to what oil to put in their Ajay and Matchless bikes! Multigrades were far too modern for the bikes (according to some)even then!
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

I have used Wilko SAE 90 gear oil in my Triumph and AJS gearboxes for nearly thirty years. Does a cracking job.

I use Wilko Classic 20/50 in the engine of both. My AJS is a twin so has the plain bearings, possibly not OK for the singles.

I use ATF in the primary.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

When our bikes were new we could only really use the recommended oil. We never had all these problems as we seem to have now. That has to tell you something. If you are not sticking to makers recommendations and get problems, all you need do is, not ignore what makers recommend. That's what I have always done and never had problems. Only this week I had a car problem, an emissions warning light stayed on. Having now refilled with fuel, the light now goes off. Dodgy supermarket fuel I guess. Pity our old bikes are not so smart. Or are they. If they play up they are telling you something.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Like most on here, I run my two AMC 'Heavyweights' on straight SAE50 in engine, gearbox (AMC and Burman) and chaincase.
I recently switched from rather expensive Castrol oils and now buy my lubricants directly from Rye Oils (https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/vintage-engine-oil-50/) in 25 litre containers. It's a lot cheaper that way. I also use their 20/50 in my Meriden Triumphs for the same reason.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

All good advise here Thanks chaps but.......
I think ive found the problem..😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
No oil in the gearbox.....Why....
The only leak I have left to sort out .... boy ive found a few
Think I've got a leak coming from the gearbox seal hitting the rear of the chaincase and running down the centre stand.
I've got a very good sealed chaincase now and after a run I get some spots of oil under the chaincase.
Even with a pipe on the crankcase breather the oil spots return.
Will wait till I return from the Jampot before I tackle this one.
Guess it's chaincase removed 😱😱😱 front and rear and hopefully replace seal.
Maybe look at dynamo seal whilst i,m at it
All thoughts welcome as I,m on a mission to get an oil free 1957 Matchless G3 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote:All thoughts welcome as I,m on a mission to get an oil free 1957 Matchless G3 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
We'll have no problem recognising you at the Jampot then with your purple face. :rofl:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
mikeydpippin wrote:All thoughts welcome as I,m on a mission to get an oil free 1957 Matchless G3 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
We'll have no problem recognising you at the Jampot then with your purple face. :rofl:
It'll be me with the begging bowl looking for change Nev😂😂😂
And a magic wand 😱😱😱
Mike
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Mike

There was me thinking you were using 20 / 50 in the gearbox :roll:

The pessimist in me says if you're seeing oil running down the inner chain case and it's coming from the gearbox it's more likely to be leaking along the sleeve gear / mainshaft bushes. If it were the gearbox output bearing oil seal the oil would tend to run down the gearbox case and drip off the underside.
Sleeve Gear.png
Good news is that using thicker oil will slow the leakage along the mainshaft and may fix the issue - the bad news, if it doesn't it's a gearbox strip.

Why not give it a good clean, some SAE 50 monograde and see what happens?

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

mikeydpippin wrote:I've been using Halfords 20/50 Classic oil for quite a while in the engine and AMC gearbox
I notice the gear changes are a bit tighter during a longish run, with the engine hot.
Would this be down to using this oil rather than the recommended Castro's Sae 50 as stated in the manual.
Is there a lot of difference between the two.
If Sae 50 is heavier maybe this could help improve the gear change.
I was thinking about trying this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene-Ha ... 2539129632
I always used EP90 gear oil in the AMC gearbox that I believe is equivalent to SAE50 engine oil in the viscosity stakes but is designed for gears, personally I don't feel that SAE 20/50 is a good choice for a gearbox.