Oil again

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dodger

Re: Oil again

Post by dodger »

Well said, a bit of common sense injected into this age old debate.
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

There is no excuse for not using the manufacturers specified oils because straight 30 40 and 50 oils are readily available from several companys
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm no Philistine and I'm all for adopting the benefits of scientific advances: Anatomical design hasn't changed for millennia but pure common sense and practical experience have recently prompted me to give up using Izal toilet paper.
However ( ;) ) the mechanicals in our bikes are not highly stressed and I suspect that few bikes do anywhere near the mileage or are thrashed hard enough to justify deviating from the easily obtainable oils recommended in the manuals. Too many shed dwellers are in danger of becoming part of what the medical profession call 'The worried well'.
Many show bikes and restorations that I've seen would probably run quite happily on Oil of Ulay.

(Where's that grumpy Noted Expert 'ITMA' when you need some support? :roll: )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

cfaber wrote:And when said manual was written; leaded paint, gas, and asbestos were all good ideas. The modern make up of new lubricants are far superior to what was available when the bike was built and manuals written.
Hi

Lubricants and machinery are developed in conjunction with one another, when our bikes were produced they were designed to use the currently available lubricants, and as I said earlier, if you deviate from the manufacturers recommendation you need to satisfy yourself that your chosen alternative is compatible.

I would advise the use of the manufacturers specified lubricants unless you have the knowledge to determine a better specification.

Regards Mick (still using leaded solder, easy flow, trichloroethane etc. because they're better :) )
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid, you know Ken walked away a long time ago now.

I'm on the lookout for a supply of Sodium Chlorate to try and kill of the Mare's Tail that seems untouched by anything else. Apparently no legal sources anymore and my stock gone.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:Sprid, you know Ken walked away a long time ago now.
We are still in touch from time to time. He's had a new knee. My sympathies to the nurses.
I'm on the lookout for a supply of Sodium Chlorate to try and kill of the Mare's Tail that seems untouched by anything else. Apparently no legal sources anymore and my stock gone.
Maybe folk could send you their old 20/50 and EP90 to spray on it?
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Johnny Vinegar!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

39speedtwin wrote:Johnny Vinegar!
Ah, but the same as oil, you must use the recommended grade of vinegar :rofl: : :rofl: :rofl:

https://goodgrow.uk/vinegar-kill-weeds/

Quote:

Not all vinegar will work. Specifically you're looking for ones with high acidity, many reports recommend over 10% in some cases even 20%.

Acetic acid is what makes vinegar an effective weed killer.​

Regular old household vinegar which is usually 5% acetic acid may wilt the weeds but they will quickly regrow.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

39speedtwin wrote:Johnny Vinegar!
I bet that makes your eyes water :o
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Mick D wrote:
cfaber wrote:And when said manual was written; leaded paint, gas, and asbestos were all good ideas. The modern make up of new lubricants are far superior to what was available when the bike was built and manuals written.
Hi

Lubricants and machinery are developed in conjunction with one another, when our bikes were produced they were designed to use the currently available lubricants, and as I said earlier, if you deviate from the manufacturers recommendation you need to satisfy yourself that your chosen alternative is compatible.

I would advise the use of the manufacturers specified lubricants unless you have the knowledge to determine a better specification.

Regards Mick (still using leaded solder, easy flow, trichloroethane etc. because they're better :) )
Right, with the chemistry and knowledge of the day. Today is different. Even older machinery benefits from the massive advancements in lubrication science. There's endless "wear" videos such as demonstrating why these newer oils do so well :)

The only downside is price. It's expensive to research and develop these things, and the chemistry is complex requiring tens of millions in infrastructure to develop :shock:
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?