Different times.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Different times.

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I bought a large box of Jampot magazines from an autojumble late last year. They go back a few years. I started browsing through them this afternoon.

In amongst them is a members handbook from 1976.

It lists all the members' machines at the front, including engine, frame numbers and registration numbers. At the back of the book it lists owners, including their full home addresses! Even the Jampot magazines lists the new members with their full addresses.
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Different times.

Post by 1608 »

Ah! from an era when people were not too concerned about giving out personal details.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Different times and laws. Too easy to committee a crime. Too easy not to be punished if you get caught. Unless it is a motoring offence. You are more easily caught and cannot escape getting punished.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Fred and Billy Ham produced those books for the club, very handy when thinking of starting a section in your area. You may have noticed that Billy is still one of the club's vice presidents.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not having a printed membership list did not do away with information of club members in your area. If considering to start a section, you could request a list of members in the catchment area, by giving the post codes. Not sure if that is now allowed. I'm sure members preferences will apply.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Rob Harknett wrote:Not having a printed membership list did not do away with information of club members in your area. If considering to start a section, you could request a list of members in the catchment area, by giving the post codes. Not sure if that is now allowed. I'm sure members preferences will apply.
I was thinking how times have changed now. The fact that the membership book(s) showed people where they lived and what bikes they have in their sheds. I'm not sure many would be happy with that now.

In one of the books was a 'Springer' advertised for 50 quid in 1974! It's all relative though, my old man was earning almost that in a week then. Plus the fact to most people they were just old motorbikes to ride to work and not considered classics with the inflated values attached to them these days.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote:I was thinking how times have changed now. The fact that the membership book(s) showed people where they lived and what bikes they have in their sheds. I'm not sure many would be happy with that now.

Plus the fact to most people they were just old motorbikes to ride to work and not considered classics with the inflated values attached to them these days.
I think the inflated values and TLC that's lavished on 'old bikes' is why their security is so important nowadays. Plus the online auction sites and jumbles make it easy to strip and sell on stolen bikes as parts with a degree of anonymity for the crims.
Mind you, I heard last week on R4 that the police's own figures show that only 7.8% of all reported crimes result in prosecutions so that's also a (disgraceful) factor.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I have a Members Handbook from 1983, you can have it for free, you only have to pay the Post.
Regards Poul Hansen
Denmark