G3C Bottom Yoke

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GSM

G3C Bottom Yoke

Post by GSM »

Can the stem be removed from a G3C bottom yoke? I have a new bottom yoke minus the stem, so I wondered if I can use the stem from another bottom yoke.
alanengineer

Re: G3C Bottom Yoke

Post by alanengineer »

have a look at the parts book and see what conclusion you come to
GSM

Post by GSM »

Alan, I have looked at the parts book, and it shows the stem and yoke as one part number. This doesn't help though, as I have a bottom yoke without the stem.
clive

Post by clive »

I have changed stems on a fifties bottom yolk, not sure if the comp ones are the same or what year your yolk is. To change my one you had knock the stem down first, remove a circlip and then drive it out the other way. I think I applied some heat but it was over 35 years ago.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

the parts book words say they only supply the bottom yoke, stem and circlip as a unit. from my interpretation, i assume the stem is seperate. But, im only looking at an arbitrary year of bike, 1955. go back to your book and check. The more info you give the forum, the more people will be able to help.
Your parts book is your next best friend, its full of useful stuff
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

GSM wrote:I have a new bottom yoke minus the stem
Hi

I don't see why you couldn't fit a serviceable stem to your yoke, assuming your yoke is actually new and conforms to the original design specification. I'd heat the yoke to around 200 degrees C and press the stem / circlip assembly into it, allowing the circlip to determine the depth.
I'd also secure the joint with Loctite 638.

Regards Mick
GSM

Post by GSM »

Alan, Mick, I have done some digging and found the following:

in 1948 the parts were avaible individually, 42-G3L- FF17 - Crown, 41-18-FF20 - Stem and 40-G12M-FF92 - Circlip.

The 1946 workshop manual states:

Make the fork crown and cover tube assembly by :— Fit steering column into fork crown and secure lower end with circlip. Force column upwards as far as it will go in fork crown so that circlip lies in fork crown recess and abuts tightly against fork crown.

I will give it a try and see what happens.