1948 race bike prep, hairpin springs, brakes & AJS Porcupine

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

1948 race bike prep, hairpin springs, brakes & AJS Porcupine

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I think this was posted some while ago but if you haven't already seen it here's an interesting film with a knowledgeable presenter's amusingly corny commentary ...

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dave T_LAPSED

Re: 1948 race bike prep, hairpin springs, brakes & AJS Porcu

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Thanks Spriddler, really interesting, "short but informative film", even with the insufferably twee commentary. Not enough Porcupine for my liking though! :D
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Loved the commentary, definite shades of Ron Manager from The Fast Show ...small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts isn't it. Mmmmm marvellous....

Lathe turning asbestos brake linings too with all of the dust collecting on the tooling! I'd have thought works mechanics might at least have put some rag in the crankcase sliding on the barrel to stop any broken ring ingress?

Iron Head
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I think this was posted some while ago but if you haven't already seen it here's an interesting film with a knowledgeable presenter's amusingly corny commentary ...

I love archive films, thanks for that. Fascinating hand on engineering. I bet the man machining the brake shoes wasn't aware of the dangers of asbestos dust.

Another motorbike film from the 1950s to look out for is:

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote: I love archive films, thanks for that. Fascinating hand on engineering. I bet the man machining the brake shoes wasn't aware of the dangers of asbestos dust.
In 1961 I began my apprenticeship at a R/R, Bentley and Jaguar main dealer. There were 3 regular jobs for apprentices:

- In the pit draining engine, g/box and back axle oils into a milk churn in a cloud of dust from the mechanic up top blowing out brakes and drums which were damn near the size of dustbin lids. (In winter the saved oil cocktail was burned in a couple of smoky, stinky 'jet engines' to heat the workshop).

- Up on a raised plank leaning over a long deep trough cleaning parts and breathing the fumes from the hot trichloroethylene bath. Paint brush, bare hands and no mask.

- Cleaning batches of dozens of plugs using the Champion spark plug sand blast cabinet and spark tester.
It's a sobering thought that many of these old, often silent films were within my lifetime :cry:
I did chuckle at the bit where the guy with the outfit was supposed to be adjusting the aim of his headlamp beam in broad daylight. Yeah, right!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Freeview channel 81 - "Talking Pictures" - regularly run short "Glimpses" films; fantastic!

Johnny B
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote: I love archive films, thanks for that. Fascinating hand on engineering. I bet the man machining the brake shoes wasn't aware of the dangers of asbestos dust.
In 1961 I began my apprenticeship at a R/R, Bentley and Jaguar main dealer. There were 3 regular jobs for apprentices:

- In the pit draining engine, g/box and back axle oils into a milk churn in a cloud of dust from the mechanic up top blowing out brakes and drums which were damn near the size of dustbin lids. (In winter the saved oil cocktail was burned in a couple of smoky, stinky 'jet engines' to heat the workshop).

- Up on a raised plank leaning over a long deep trough cleaning parts and breathing the fumes from the hot trichloroethylene bath. Paint brush, bare hands and no mask.

- Cleaning batches of dozens of plugs using the Champion spark plug sand blast cabinet and spark tester. I remember all that when I started but even in those days I knew that asbestos dust was dangerous but was told to stop being so 'b' fussy and get on with your work
It's a sobering thought that many of these old, often silent films were within my lifetime :cry:
I did chuckle at the bit where the guy with the outfit was supposed to be adjusting the aim of his headlamp beam in broad daylight. Yeah, right!
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Spriddler. I remember all that when I started and even in those days I knew that Asbestos dust was dangerous but was told to stop being so 'b' fussy and get on with your work