Quick magneto question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Quick magneto question

Post by MalcW »

Hi, I have a K2F mag on my twin that has the kill button on the end cap. The cap is held on by two studs & nuts. I would quite like to fit a remote kill button, but the the only end caps I've seen appear to be screw on. Is that right? Can you get bolt on ones? Thanks.

Malc
Groily

Re: Quick magneto question

Post by Groily »

Malc, The best way to deal with this is not to replace the end housing, but to mod it.
There are three basic types of cb end housing - the big screw-on job (much later), the sort you have, and the sort with the plastic cover with wire off at a tangent for engine stop, which is held to the mag by a pillar and clip.
The actual disposition of the ears on various housings, or the tapped holes on the mag body for that matter, is variable and you can get in an awful muddle sometimes trying to swap things. (Changing the housing would require extraction and reseating of the cb end bearing race as well, which isn't the easiest thing.)

The easiest thing to do (I have done it on my own and a good few others) is to remove the steel button and spring by pulling the split pin out on the inside; insert a hollow insulated sleeve (nylon bar or whatever) in the hole and glue it, or create a 'tophat' even) then put a 5mm HT brush and spring in, to touch the head of the cb centre screw when the cap is in place. (Might have to ease out the hole in the middle of the dome a tad for ease of doing the job, but that's simples.)
The spring should seat on a bit of rod stuck/ 'threaded' (or whatever) into the insulator sleeve from the outside.
Attach wire to outer end with nut and washer, run wire to 'bars, attach to spare horn button or whatever, and there you go. A simple earthing-out button that you can get to without having to stretch down.
Looks fine, works fine, and saves messing with the main housing.
Almost easier to do than to describe in fact, and is bulletproof as long as the insulator is well held in place. (Loads of ways of making something really engineering-posh for them as wants of course.)