Early AJS

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Beaky

Early AJS

Post by Beaky »

Can anyone help me to identify the AJS in the attached image. I thought I had posted this request a few days ago , but, apparently, I did something wrong. The nearest I can get to it with my limited knowledge is a 1926 H6. Any help greatly appreciated.
Beaky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Early AJS

Post by Rob Harknett »

H6 would not be 1926. H is the year code letter for 1927. Model 6 was a 350 OHV. 26 / 27 had a flat tank holding oil and petrol. 26/27 had oval tube forks and two springs
This bike has a SV engine. It has a 1929 petrol tank, no colour in the picture, but the tank has a Magenta colour tank panel with AJS logo, also separate oil tank. The bike has 1929 round tube forks with one central spring. The bike has the front guard stay fitted in an odd position, looks like it has a home made flat steel stay on the rear guard. It has lost its rear stand, rear carrier, leather fronted tool box and changuard. It has a 350 frame. There were 3 SV models 3, 4 and 5. If the guards are still original, the bike is the cheapest SV model 5. Which will be referred to as an M5 ( M = year code letter for 1929 ) GF 2462 was a London reg. number issued March to May 1930 . So the bike stood unsold until then.
00.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beaky

Re: Early AJS

Post by Beaky »

Brilliant Rob, thank you for a very detailed response. That will do for me.
Beaky