AMC & Norton clutches

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
matchless

AMC & Norton clutches

Post by matchless »

The Norton type clutch was introduced with the AMC Gearbox in 1957 and had loose friction inserts, then (aprox 1959) the clutch was changed to incorporate bonded friction inserts. The parts of which are not interchangeable.
My question is: Which clutch is better to use? and why? Do you know why they changed?

Regards...........David
Duncan

Re: AMC & Norton clutches

Post by Duncan »

Hi David

The 1959 parts list has both types in it so as you state this would have been the change over year, the main difference is the way the ears face in or out on the friction plates and the chain wheel and back plate differ as to which one has the friction material. I have managed to strip the ears of the external ear clutch friction plate so would have to say the later one is better for that reason.
matchless

Post by matchless »

Hi Duncan, Thanks for your input. I note the differences, but have not heard of any major problems (other than yours) with either type of clutch. Considering the friction surface area is the same and I assume the overall weight / mass is the same, then the performance should be the same?? Does this come down to the availability of spares as being the major issue when restoring a clutch?

When it comes to originality, will the use of a later clutch in an earlier model, decrease the value of the bike because it is not the original type fitted? Or is this level of detail bordering on madness?

Personally, I am looking to use the one which will perform the better.

Regards............David
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Both work okay, actually they are both good clutches
When it comes to originality, will the use of a later clutch in an earlier model, decrease the value of the bike because it is not the original type fitted? Or is this level of detail bordering on madness?

Do you really need to ask? ;)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

For what it's worth, I think the later clutch assembly would be marginally heavier and stronger due to the friction plates not having the friction pad cut outs, and this would be my choice of option if I were starting with no clutch components. However if I already had some of the components of one option I would choose to re-instate that one. I'm a bit of a rivet counter when it comes to my bikes but even I wouldn't worry about fitting the earlier clutch.

Regards Mick