My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markwhitelock

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by markwhitelock »

The forks are finally in!!

Now I have a new problem though :cry: The fork caps are lovely and shiny, they fit inside the stanchions, but the hole for the fork rod bit is miles too wide!!!!
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Old vs new :cry:

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

unscrew the shouldered reducer hex nut from the top domed cap
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Sorted, I hope my bonehead questions are keeping you all entertained!!!! There will be plenty more no doubt!!!! :lol: :headbang:
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Momentum as the G80 been quite slow recently, despite being confined to home, a 10 month old is demanding his daddy's time! I have been finding some respite in the garage though!

Both wheel are now off and brakes inspected, two new pairs of shoes are needed but I think the drum should be ok after a quick dremel, forks are now in and ready to be filled with oil so fingers crossed they don't leak!

I've been taking off the tinware to get it cleaned, under the layers of dirt some of the paint seems in pretty good condition, unfortunately the barn it was found in leaked so the lower parts are pretty rusty 😞

Slowly making progress though :beer:

ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

I'm glad you are making progress, Mark. It will be good to go out for a ride, sometime, when you've got the bike all back together and working!
Mark
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Updates:

Front forks are all complete and filled with oil, no leaks yet. New brake shoes in, all assembled and seems sorted.

Repaired toolbox is back in, happy with that..

I finally got round to filling the gear box, I seem to have a leak on the gear selector, I'm pretty sure I put a new seal on it :( I'm a bit hesitant to take the cover off since I put sealant on the gasket :oops: Rookie mistake.

Next steps are electrical, dynamo rebuild, wiring, and taking a look at the engine. :?

The oil tank is a bit of a cowboy job, I'm struggling to see on the parts diagram what I should be using to connect the pipes, any assistance would be gratefully received!

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Originally 2 rubber sleeves were used to connect the oil pipes to the tank.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

ajscomboman wrote:Originally 2 rubber sleeves were used to connect the oil pipes to the tank.
So similar to the clear hosing on there? I wanted to take them off to see if there is a filter in place but I'm worried I wouldn't get them back on!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Rather than having it look bodged get some black oil proof hose, put it into a cup of boiling water for a couple of minutes before you fit it, lube the tails of the rigid pipes and oil tank with a smear of oil and it'll all slide together with ease.

Regards Mick