My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Mark

No need to double up, putting queries on the Forum and sending PM.

You're getting good advice on the forum and what's more, as that's publc, the answers may help someone else in the future when they use the search facility.

It looks to me that you are missing clutch plates, particularly the final one that the pressure plate rests on would usually be plain; haven't looked at the Burman clutch in a long time. Take the advice about the chain and bearings as it's suggested that the chaincase has been run dry - from memory the rear of the clutch basket runs on an uncaged roller bearing, if you remove it don't lose the rollers.

The screws for the clutch springs need a forked shaped screwdriver to fasten them. Personally I cut an appropriate fork in the end of a flat metal plug spanner and filed the thickness to fit the slot in either side of the clutch spring screws.

Mick D is spot on, it's why you need a list. Also spot on about the mag (although I don't think Tony Cooper charged me that much) and you'd need to get the SR1 cover as well. Nonetheless, my experience with SR1's the same as Raffles.

Personally, no point in trying to adjust the clutch until all the plates are there and they're decent and in the right order. Have you downloaded the manuals and parts list for 1956 from Christian's Archives yet? It's really what you need to do. Everyone is always keen to help but it helps if you have reference documents that you can study yourself.

Cheers

Johnny B
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

That's great, thanks guys. Loads to get on with!

I didn't realise the chain cover bit should have oil in it, it only had the metal strap and was missing the rubber part so I couldn't see how it would have held oil! I've downloaded the literature but it seems I can't print it out which is a pain. I bought a Floyd Clymer book of Matchless which seems useful, I'm sure that I will find answers in there.

Apologies for any silly questions, it is all very new to me (including how this forum operates!!)

Cheers

Mark
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The 350cc and the 500cc heavyweights that utilised a Burman gearbox and clutch used the same clutch basket but the 350 had a shorter clutch hub and 1 less pair of plates. Your clutch would appear to only have 4 pairs of plates not the 5 pairs that a 500cc bike should have. I would take the pressure plate off and have a look at the clutch hub. If the hub is full, with no space for another plate, then it's likely that the clutch hub is from a 350. You would have to obtain the longer clutch hub if you want to add the extra pair of plates.
picture46.jpg
350cc clutch with 4 pairs of plates
picture48.jpg
The two different length hubs
picture49.jpg
500cc clutch with longer hub and 5 pairs of plates
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

That's really useful, Pharisee, thank you. I will check over the weekend
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Mark,
I've got the tool for adjusting the clutch springs. If it would help, I could pop it over one evening or over the weekend? I used to use a cut-down screwdriver but found the correct tool is better for a ham-fisted "mechanic" like me!
I may have some old clutch plates which you could temporarily try, before getting new ones, to check if you have space in the clutch basket and see if that is the problem.
Anyway, just let me know if you'd like me to pop over. There's a Kempton Park autojumble tomorrow at which you could probably get some of the parts but you may not have a long enough list to make that trip worthwhile yet!
Mark
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Without wishing to sound too pessimistic, the more I study this the more the alarm bells are ringing. I'd be asking myself whether this bike has been hastily cobbled together and made to run in order to sell it.
From you photos the majority of the bike looks undisturbed for quite some time, however the gearbox and primary cover look to have been recently handled, (is it ironic that both are currently faulty?).
I suggest you pull the drain plugs from the engine sump and gearbox, collect the oil and examine it for particles and water, (or emulsification due to same).

I don't think I'd be racing to put the bike back onto the road and risk causing a lot of damage due to something a previous owner has done, (or not done), or due to the ravages of time. I'd spend a few months stripping it down, inspecting everything and re-assembling it all into a bike that you will, by then, know and be confident is in good order. If you keep things 'oily rag' it will only cost the price of gaskets and consumable plus any faulty parts you have to replace.

Regards Mick
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Having been advised by the man who knows, make sure that the operating lever inside the gearbox cover is at it's lowest point, then screw the adjusting screws on the clutch fully home, then wind out 1 1/2 turns,then adjust the cable.You met him at Netley!
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Thanks for all the replies chaps, I am pretty certain the gear box and casing were added in order to make it a complete bike to sell, I don't intend to just wipe it over a run it, I want to strip the clutch, replace plates etc so that I know it is all sorted. One step at a time!

I will strip the clutch this weekend and see what is what, then start to make a list of bits needed. I'm not in a rush, I have other bikes to ride in the meantime!
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Without wishing to sound too pessimistic, the more I study this the more the alarm bells are ringing. I'd be asking myself whether this bike has been hastily cobbled together and made to run in order to sell it.

Regards Mick
That's exactly what I found with my 18S. I bought if from a classic vehicle dealers in Cornwall. It was supposed to have been restored by the previous owner.. an elderly gent who never subsequently rode it... To be honest, I'm not surprised as there was so much wrong with it. The 350 version of the clutch was not the worst of it by any means.

Full story (to date, anyway. It's still ongoing) is on my website. The first trials and tribulations were serialised over 4 months in 'Jampot' some time ago.

You may.. or may not... find it interesting but it will give you some idea of the problems you can encounter :D

http://www.whatfunnyhat.com/Frame_Stuff ... 2018S.html
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

That's a really interesting blog, Pharisee, I'm now bloody worried about what I might have on my hands and whether my wallet can cope 😳😩