My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote: I'm now bloody worried about what I might have on my hands and whether my wallet can cope 😳😩
Hi

Don't be too concerned until you've opened everything up - as I said, it only looks like the primary drive and gearbox have been recently disturbed. The rest looks as though it's been there since it was last on the road. Fingers crossed it could just require a good clean and careful re-assembly.

And maybe a little attention to the wiring ;)

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Don't Panic!

If it's (at least initially) to ride rather than be pretty, then parts don't necessarily have to be new. They just have to be serviceable, AMC Classicspares and others have secondhand parts.

As I said in PM, if £'s are tight you could even do without doing the dynamo if you pop in LEDs and charge battery after run outs. Like Mick D said, if the current mag works, leave it on.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Does it have to be completely original? :?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Mick D wrote:
markwhitelock wrote: I'm now bloody worried about what I might have on my hands and whether my wallet can cope 😳😩
Hi

Don't be too concerned until you've opened everything up - as I said, it only looks like the primary drive and gearbox have been recently disturbed. The rest looks as though it's been there since it was last on the road. Fingers crossed it could just require a good clean and careful re-assembly.

Regards Mick
The wiring is an absolute snakes orgy under the seat!!!! I plan on completely redoing the lot!
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

markwhitelock wrote:
Mick D wrote:
Hi

Regards Mick
The wiring is an absolute snakes orgy under the seat!!!! I plan on completely redoing the lot!
I suggest you make it easy for yourself like I did and buy a wiring loom from Colin Farrington (he's listed on the Services adverts). I know there's not a lot to the electrics, but it saved me so much time having the right item.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

All normal stuff Mark, easy fix though. What you have is a super project just ripe for renovation and not restoration. Strip, clean and use is the way to go.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I've emailed photos to the dating club email address, do I get contacted when payment is due? Not heard anything yet but it's only been a couple of days.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Plugsnpoints wrote: I know there's not a lot to the electrics, but it saved me so much time having the right item.
Hi

I've just re-loomed my current project, (very similar to yours), it came in at around £30, a substantial saving over the £66 cost of a pre made loom, so if you have the ability and the time it's a good place to save a few quid. You may be surprised at how much of the old loom can be salvaged and re-incorporated. Consider the addition of a fuse on the supply side of the battery.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I rewired all my bikes... mostly because the use of solid state regulators (for the AMC machines) and electronic ignition systems / soild state rectifier-regulators on the Triumphs meant that the original (or reproduced copies thereof) were no longer applicable. I start at the back and work my way forward, wrapping the cables with Tesa harness tape as I go. All you need is available from suppliers like Vehicle Wiring Products.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I quite like the idea of doing it myself, the wiring diagram in the books looks pretty straight forward. What gauge of wire is generally best to use?