My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote:I tried pulling the selector rod out but it is stuck being that gear and neither will pull out. I was very hesitant to use much/any force!
Hi

Don't force the selector rod, you risk damaging it's socket in the back of the gearbox case or the selector fork.

Another option is to remove the clutch centre nut and the main shaft complete with it's gears will withdraw from the case bringing the selector rod and fork with it.

At your current state of dis-assembly you'll need a suitable spanner for the clutch hub nut and a tool to lock the clutch hub to basket.

Regards Mick

Edited to remove my erroneous advice that the clutch hub could be locked with the rear brake - bit of a senior moment, you're too far down the dis-assembly road for this to be possible :oops:
Last edited by Mick D on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

At the moment I'm thinking that I just leave it where it is. I can see that there doesn't appear to be much wear to the gears and everything else seems to be where it should be.

Rather than dismantle the clutch I will add the missing plates and see how things are once I dry assemble. Sound sensible?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote:Rather than dismantle the clutch I will add the missing plates and see how things are once I dry assemble. Sound sensible?
Hi

A gearbox without oil, a primary chain case without oil or seals, a clutch missing two plates, oil pipelines connected with 'aquarium tube', no dynamo drive, I'd say that sounds pretty risky.
In order to fit your present gearbox the clutch will have been fully dis-assembled, I wouldn't be happy to rely on the PO's integrity based on what I've seen.

But I do have a cynical streak :twisted:

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

When you put it like that....!

:roll:
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I'm with Mick. You're risking too much. :cry:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I will continue further then!

Next step get the clutch off, rest of the chain case off, drive gear and chain, gear box out?

Once checked I'm reassembling, the dynamo chain is ordered but no dyno gear available in club shop so need to source that, I was told the dyno doesn't work though so seems a bit silly to reinstall it before checking it over.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

markwhitelock wrote:At the moment I'm thinking that I just leave it where it is. I can see that there doesn't appear to be much wear to the gears and everything else seems to be where it should be.

Rather than dismantle the clutch I will add the missing plates and see how things are once I dry assemble. Sound sensible?
If that gear is not sliding freely on the mainshaft, which it certainly appears not to be, you can't leave it in a jammed state as you need it to move to change gear. You'll have to sort it one way or another... :(
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Pharisee wrote:
markwhitelock wrote:At the moment I'm thinking that I just leave it where it is. I can see that there doesn't appear to be much wear to the gears and everything else seems to be where it should be.

If that gear is not sliding freely on the mainshaft, which it certainly appears not to be, you can't leave it in a jammed state as you need it to move to change gear. You'll have to sort it one way or another... :(
Mick suggested earlier that it isn't meant to move during normal operation...?

I'm confused now! :lol: He said in his earlier posts the the first two gears don't move, or gave I read that wrong?!
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

For what it's worth. I'd take the whole gearbox apart. It's lots of fun putting it back together again and at least you'll know that the horrible crunching sound on engaging first gear is meant to happen (or rather how they all are!). I've got a B52 box and they're really sturdy if you look after them. ;)
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

spookefoote1956 wrote:For what it's worth. I'd take the whole gearbox apart. It's lots of fun putting it back together again and at least you'll know that the horrible crunching sound on engaging first gear is meant to happen (or rather how they all are!). I've got a B52 box and they're really sturdy if you look after them. ;)
Yes, that's where I'm heading I think. I am just trying to find out which bits are meant to move and which are fixed!

I feel like such an idiot. Steep learning curve :headbang: