My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajscomboman

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by ajscomboman »

Hmm! The stanchions should slide straight through without the need for anything to spread the yoke. You'd usually only need to do that to remove them due to rust. I suspect that the yoke may have burrs which are/have picked up on the stanchion. Have you tried twisting the leg out? I know it sounds brutal but as you're not in a critical area where the oil seal is you could try twisting with a pipe wrench and dress the damaged area after. I clean the yokes with a dremel and grinding attachment to clean rust and burrs then grease very lightly to insert. Before refitting check the dia of the yokes and stanchions just to ensure they are spot on size wise.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Before I did anything else I'd measure the diameter of the free bottom yoke hole and the unfitted stanchion, as Rob says, they should slide together freely.

Inspect the free hole for burrs and clean up thoroughly with a fine file and finish the bore with abrasive cloth, if the stanchion will not slide up freely there's something dimensionally wrong.

It's not 1.25" stanchions in 1.125 yokes is it?

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

The inside of the yolk is clean and greased

I don't have anything to measure accurately though. They came from the club shop so I assumed they would fit perfectly!
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

The old ones that I have slide in and out easily, these new ones don't even go in at all. Somethings not right there.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Dia of the stanchions is not correct then. I'm on the case to see where they came from. Just check the yokes for me to ensure they are 1 1/4"
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Hmm, since we had a delivery we've sold over 16 pairs and had no returns at all other than swapping your set due to that damaged thread. I'm not sure what exactly is going on.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Hi Rob

Yes, 1 1/4

My neighbour has a vernier I can borrow but not until this eve.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Spin the top and bottom yoke so you can see if the stanchion slides into the top yoke. Did the top bushes slide down the tubes ok? Give the yoke a real good clean back to bright metal.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I took the dremmel to it and got it back to clean metal, that had done the trick!! :D

Don't take the piss too much when you finally see me on it, Rob!! It's a learning curve, right!? :headbang:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mark, just had a set of stanchions tested by another member who has a brand new pair in stock and a spare set of yokes. The stanchion goes in easily according to him. I'd suggest you give the bottom yoke a real good clean up and don't be afraid of opening it up slightly. If the stanchions were too big in diameter I think you'd have struggled with the top bushes.