Tyre preferences please.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Tyre preferences please.

Post by Plugsnpoints »

A few months ago I bought a pair of Avon Speedmasters from Vintage tyres to my 350. For the speed I travel at on the bike and general use I find them perfectly suitable. I replaced the originals as the others had been on the bike for about 30 years and thought it was sensible. It handles fine.

Obviously if I had a modern machine I'd want super sticky tried and tested rubber.

Anyway, I digress.

For my 600 twin I have Mitas tyres and something isn't quite as it should be.

What do you fellas (and fella-esses) use and recommend for the best handling of the larger British machines with 19" rims?
Mick D

Re: Tyre preferences please.

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I used to use TT100s on my T160V but have recently swapped to Avon Roadrunners - I found the road holding of both types good and will stick to Roadrunners on my current Ariel 650 restoration.

Regards Mick
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I had Mitas tyres on my Norton but the back wore out very quickly so changed to Avon SM MK2 and I am pleased with it, still got Mitas on the front.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Plugsnpoints wrote:A few months ago I bought a pair of Avon Speedmasters from Vintage tyres to my 350. For the speed I travel at on the bike and general use I find them perfectly suitable. I replaced the originals as the others had been on the bike for about 30 years and thought it was sensible. It handles fine.
Are you really using a pair of Speedmasters on your 350? They are ribbed and not meant to be used on the rear wheel but hey... whatever floats your boat!

I use TT100's on my two Meriden Triumphs. On my Matchless and AJS I use a Speedmaster on the front and an SM MkII on the rear.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Pharisee wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote:A few months ago I bought a pair of Avon Speedmasters from Vintage tyres to my 350. For the speed I travel at on the bike and general use I find them perfectly suitable. I replaced the originals as the others had been on the bike for about 30 years and thought it was sensible. It handles fine.
Are you really using a pair of Speedmasters on your 350? They are ribbed and not meant to be used on the rear wheel but hey... whatever floats your boat!

I use TT100's on my two Meriden Triumphs. On my Matchless and AJS I use a Speedmaster on the front and an SM MkII on the rear.
I just realised what I'd typed. Doh!

I have Avon ditchfinders on the front and back of the 350-as in a square section SM Mk11 and a ribbed (for pleasure) Speedmaster on the front. Just to clarify! :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Always had ribbed speed masters on the front studded on the rear. Studded front and rear on old girder fork bikes.
Modern repros seem thinner and more supple, so old tyre pressers no longer seem to apply. Cheap modern tyres the same and you seem to nee a size larger say 3.50 insted of 3.25.
Any of these tyres suit my needs. As I am happy to ride my bikes at a more steadier speed than hey were ever intented for. If you want to join the fast boys, you may prefer to use a more modern design of tyre. In so doing, punish your bike.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Rob Harknett wrote:Always had ribbed speed masters on the front studded on the rear. Studded front and rear on old girder fork bikes.
Modern repros seem thinner and more supple, so old tyre pressers no longer seem to apply. Cheap modern tyres the same and you seem to nee a size larger say 3.50 insted of 3.25.
Any of these tyres suit my needs. As I am happy to ride my bikes at a more steadier speed than hey were ever intented for. If you want to join the fast boys, you may prefer to use a more modern design of tyre. In so doing, punish your bike.
Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.

I am a very cautious and steady rider these days. I am looking for something that could improve the handling as I'm not entirely happy with the tyres I have on it. I never thrash my bikes (I can't say I didn't in the past-those days are long gone. A spell on a ventilator put paid to that!).
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

At the speeds I ride, I find tyre type does not effect handling. What does effect handling is, wheel trueness, correct tyre fitting, steering damping / bearing adjustment. Wheel bearings ajustment and tyre pressure. Wheel and frame alignment. The most noticeable being wheel trueness and tyre fitting. Steering and fork damping on girger fork machines. I recall when I fitted a new tube in the front wheel before trailering my bike to Kelso Jampot. I took the bike off the trailer at Gretna Green for a little run in the area I last did on the same bike in 1960. It rode like bucking bronco. I had the let the tyre down and get it on true again. I assume 300 = miles on the trailer, the front wheel pulled forward, must have moved the tyre. I knew the rear wheel was not running quite true, but that only gave wobble at high speeds two up.
peter ranson

Post by peter ranson »

I use Avon Roadriders AM26 , I have them on my Commando , G15 and G12 and run them at 30 psi rear and 28 psi front. On my Model 20 I have a Cheng Shin on the rear and a ribbed on the front but it follows white lines and overbanding and the rear has worn out in about 3000 miles so will soon be fitted with a pair of Roadriders as well.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

peter ranson wrote:I use Avon Roadriders AM26 , I have them on my Commando , G15 and G12 and run them at 30 psi rear and 28 psi front. On my Model 20 I have a Cheng Shin on the rear and a ribbed on the front but it follows white lines and overbanding and the rear has worn out in about 3000 miles so will soon be fitted with a pair of Roadriders as well.

3000 seems to be about all you get out of a Mitas or Dunlop K70 on the rear, fronts last forever though.