lighter mudguards !

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
asterysk_usa

lighter mudguards !

Post by asterysk_usa »

I can't believe how heavy the mudguards are , was wondering if there are any lighter weight versions around for other models that might fit the 18S (1954/55)
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
SPRIDDLER

Re: lighter mudguards !

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I don't understand why the weight is an issue. (Shipping cost?).
Obviously you could fit alloy ones from another AMC model (and spray them black?) but they probably won't have the correct shape/profile.
About ten years ago AMC Classic Spares sold fibreglass ones but they were of thicker section and limited tyre choice.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

asterysk_usa wrote:I can't believe how heavy the mudguards are , was wondering if there are any lighter weight versions around for other models that might fit the 18S (1954/55)
Best keep it as original as you can. Vintage metalwork is part of the history and appeal behind these machines.
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I don't understand why the weight is an issue. (Shipping cost?).
Obviously you could fit alloy ones from another AMC model (and spray them black?) but they probably won't have the correct shape/profile.
About ten years ago AMC Classic Spares sold fibreglass ones but they were of thicker section and limited tyre choice.
Yes its the air freight cost, the bike will be travelling as checked baggage over a few trips.

I have seen photos of AJS/Matchless with silver looking mudguards and that got me thinking whether competition or off road modifications may have resulted in aluminium mudguards that might fit the 18S. I'm not sure where to research so any steers would be greatly appreciated

Also, I'm wondering g whether the mudguards serve any structural/stiffening role that I should be aware of ? thx
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Groily

Post by Groily »

The front one certainly acts as something of a fork brace, being a solid bit of tinware with a tough hoop on the underside . . . .
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you click on 'Photos' top right then 'Competition machines' you'll get pics of machines with alloy guards......
http://www.jampot.com/pic_showall.asp?c ... n+Machines

If you Google 'Vintage motorcycle mudguards' you'll get several hits for alloy ones. Here's just the first one displayed:
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/frame ... uards.html

However, although there are some that fit 19" dia. wheels they may not have the 'correct' profile and I think your original rear mudguard will be the two-piece style (?) to facilitate wheel removal.

All original tinware is sought after, scarce and costly, especially mudguards in half decent condition. I think you'd regret not shipping them back to refit later.

As for masking the tank odour which you mention in your other post, many vehicles are shipped complete worldwide by sea, presumably with smelly tanks without needing to be classed as dangerous cargo. Since you're not in a hurry and bringing bits and pieces by air as checked baggage seems a long-winded faff why not ship all the stuff together by sea, 'groupage' (i.e. sharing a container with other peoples' goods) using an experienced shipping agent?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Groily wrote:The front one certainly acts as something of a fork brace, being a solid bit of tinware with a tough hoop on the underside . . . .
Thats useful to know, thx. I might look at building some kind of support into an alloy/aluminium mudguard if I go that way
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

SPRIDDLER wrote:If you click on 'Photos' top right then 'Competition machines' you'll get pics of machines with alloy guards......
http://www.jampot.com/pic_showall.asp?c ... n+Machines

If you Google 'Vintage motorcycle mudguards' you'll get several hits for alloy ones. Here's just the first one displayed:
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/frame ... uards.html

However, although there are some that fit 19" dia. wheels they may not have the 'correct' profile and I think your original rear mudguard will be the two-piece style (?) to facilitate wheel removal.

All original tinware is sought after, scarce and costly, especially mudguards in half decent condition. I think you'd regret not shipping them back to refit later.
Yes it is the two piece that I have. Thanks for the links and info about the desirability of original tinware. I might see if I can get someone to copy them in Aluminium and safely preserve the originals for a later time when they can be reunited