any tips on how to remove petrol odour !!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
asterysk_usa

any tips on how to remove petrol odour !!

Post by asterysk_usa »

I'm open to all suggestions, this is the problem:

I need to take my petrol tank on an aircraft . I brought it from UK after having it rechromed and lined. No problems at all going through the airport, they sniffed it and did the explosive test and I successfully made it even with a transit (because it had just been relined there was only the smell of the lining which is more akin to paint)

I need to do the same again, however, it has held petrol for a few days . To get rid of the odour I have tried the following :

1) Steam clean for 4 hours non stop
2) Multiple bottles of isopropyl alcohol swished around and left to evaporate
3) 4 litres of white vinegar swished around and left to evaporate
4) leaving open tank in the sun for several days.

It is now almost odour free but not quite enough, looking for any suggestions, no matter how wild, provided it doesn't result in damage to the chrome and preferably not requiring a reline

PS I was about to put coffee bags inside which would have done a good job but then common sense prevailed and I didn't (otherwise it was highly likely the tank would have been cut open for further inspection !)
PPS Even if I ship as cargo I will have the same problem and that would require it going as DG goods which is wildly expensive
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: any tips on how to remove petrol odour !!

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Recently I had the same issue as I needed to repair my petrol tank.

It had been 'empty' for a year but still had a slight whiff of fumes.

I asked about this on here just over a month ago. I stuck a domestic steamer nozzle in the tank, with both taps removed. It gets very warm and this helps. I did this for a few sessions, leaving it to breath for a few days after each clean.

I have since then successfully repaired the dent with body lead using a naked propane flame. I admit to being a little nervous at first though! It was all good.

No smells remain.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Wash it out with Gunk.
John Marshall
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If my dog's anything to go by just roll it in some fox poo. (Sorry :roll: )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Plugsnpoints wrote:Recently I had the same issue as I needed to repair my petrol tank.

I asked about this on here just over a month ago. I stuck a domestic steamer nozzle in the tank, with both taps removed. It gets very warm and this helps. I did this for a few sessions, leaving it to breath for a few days after each clean.

I have since then successfully repaired the dent with body lead using a naked propane flame. I admit to being a little nervous at first though! It was all good.

No smells remain.
I am giving another session with the steam cleaner and will repeat several times, knowing it worked for you has given me the incentive to keep going !
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

asterysk_usa wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote:Recently I had the same issue as I needed to repair my petrol tank.

No smells remain.
I am giving another session with the steam cleaner and will repeat several times, knowing it worked for you has given me the incentive to keep going !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Force air through it from a compressor or vacuum cleaner for as long as possible, put some sachets of activated charcoal inside and remove just before entering the airport.

Regards Mick
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Force air through it from a compressor or vacuum cleaner for as long as possible, put some sachets of activated charcoal inside and remove just before entering the airport.

Regards Mick
I had forgotten about how effective activated charcoal is for odour removal, have just ordered a pack, thank you
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

An old trick is to run a long hosepipe from a petrol engined car exhaust pipe into the tank and leave it running on tickover for half an hour. The petrol fumes in the tank combine with the exhaust fumes and clean the petrol fumes out of the tank.
Some have said that it may be dangerous but this is the way tank welders have done it for years.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

JimFitz wrote:An old trick is to run a long hosepipe from a petrol engined car exhaust pipe into the tank and leave it running on tickover for half an hour. The petrol fumes in the tank combine with the exhaust fumes and clean the petrol fumes out of the tank.
Some have said that it may be dangerous but this is the way tank welders have done it for years.

Jim
Does it need to be exhaust from a petrol engine or would diesel exhaust achieve the same ? Its an interesting idea