Automatic Driving/Riding lights ...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Automatic Driving/Riding lights ...

Post by Taid »

The bike is 1957, Magneto ignition, so there is no ignition switch .

Is there a way to automatically detect that the engine is running and turning on the lights?

Had wondered about putting a relay connected to the the D(ynamo) connection on the Voltage regulator .. but there may not be enough voltage at tick over ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
jack clegg

Re: Automatic Driving/Riding lights ...

Post by jack clegg »

Pau Goff sells a Battery Status Monitor. Tells you if bike is charging.
John Marshall
Taid

Post by Taid »

jack clegg wrote:Pau Goff sells a Battery Status Monitor. Tells you if bike is charging.
Thanks, Jack ..

I want something to automatically provide a power feed when the engine is running which disconnects when the engine stops .. that light you mention appears to just to indicate charging ..
___

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's a calculation of current drawn by the actuating coil in the relay shown in the link following it ............
V=I x R.JPG
I'm no leccy wizard (far from it) but according to a techy website the 6v d.c. relay here (there are others):
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latc ... s/0476624/

will draw only 0.03amps at 6v (0.06amps at 12v) so I wouldn't think it would pull down the dynamo voltage significantly.
It will switch 6 amps which should just about be o.k. for the standard 36 watt filament bulb. If you're 12v then the 36 watt bulb will only draw 3 amps. An LED headlamp 'bulb' (6 or 12v) far less.

(Yes, I should get out more but been bored stiff all day and passing time posting on the Forums whilst waiting for a FedEx driver :roll: )

EDIT
There's a more suitable relay here with spade terminals and rated to 20Amps which is more than enough.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... tegory/161
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Here's a calculation of current drawn by the actuating coil in the relay shown in the link following it ............
V=I x R.JPG
I'm no leccy wizard (far from it) but according to a techy website the 6v d.c. relay here (there are others):
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latc ... s/0476624/

will draw only 0.03amps at 6v (0.06amps at 12v) so I wouldn't think it would pull down the dynamo voltage significantly.
It will switch 6 amps which should just about be o.k. for the standard 36 watt filament bulb. If you're 12v then the 36 watt bulb will only draw 3 amps. An LED headlamp 'bulb' (6 or 12v) far less.

(Yes, I should get out more but been bored stiff all day and passing time posting on the Forums whilst waiting for a FedEx driver :roll: )

I'm going 12 volts with LEDs and have ordered a relay .. picks at about 7 volts and drops at about 1.5, so unless the DVR2 lets some power back on the D wire it should do the job and (compared to all my other expenses) is cheap enough to ditch if it doesn't work .. :roll:

The idea is to feed the lights via the relay, so I leave them switched on on the headlamp and they come on when I start the engine and go off when I stop .. If I want th run the engine without the lights, I just switch them off on the headlamp .. may have to fit a relay bypass switch so that I can put the lights on when the engine isn;t running, should I so wish ,,
___