Any Bright Sparks out there?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bazajay

Any Bright Sparks out there?

Post by bazajay »

Hello All
I love oily fingers but I hate electrics! I have made up a wiring diagram for my old 18S and would just like to ask ... please if anyone has the time, just give it the once over and tell me if it will work, before I get the soldering iron out and actually make it.
Thanks in anticipation.
Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!
SPRIDDLER

Re: Any Bright Sparks out there?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Nice one, Barry, but there's (a fuseless) one already on page 89 in the Owners Manual: ;)

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
Wiring dia '49.JPG
If you don't have one there are also several Workshop Manuals in Chistians Archive. Here's one;
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... chless.pdf
(To change pages the correct way round, right click on manual first page, choose 'Rotate clockwise' and repeat as necessary).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

Think it should be fine Barry. You might (or might not!) want the speedo light to come on with the side lights, in case you'd take it from Switch terminal 5 same as tail light, not from the headlamp power supply from Switch terminal 2.
Lots of earth returns look nice.
Staying at 6v I assume, so you want to use decent wire for the main bits - dyn to reg to ammeter, and the headlamp and horn cabling - to avoid voltage drops; and seriously chunky for the battery main cables.
You've got the brake light and horn covered by the main fuse which makes for a nice simple harness. You'll need quite a big fuse if the horn isn't having a separate wire off the battery and a fuse all of its own , as it can suck up maybe 5 amps. With lights etc needing 6 or more Amps in total unless you fit LEDs, this says your main fuse needs to be 20 Amp I reckon. Horn, brake light and other lights (eg 30 or 36W globe in the headlamp) all at once could draw as much as 15 amps. Not going be on all at once in the normal run of things, of course, but Sod's Law says it's dark, you toot and brake at the same time . . . and you don't want plunging into eternal darkness just because the fuse is too small!
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Looks good to me Barry. All I would suggest is that you run a separate earth cable from where the battery earths on the frame (near the battery) to the headlamp shell and to the tail lamp body.
I always use 2mm thinwall cable throughout and 4mm for the earth and battery (fuse to ammeter). Not so much for current carrying capability but for reduction in resistance therefore volt drop.
I buy my cable from here http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/ Great range of colours.

You could use the standard wiring diagram and standard colours which may avoid confusion if you have future issues or to help a future owner (but still use separate earths).

Jim

Sprid & Groily, sorry our posts crossed
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Nice one, Any reason for going neg earth?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Nice one, Any reason for going neg earth?
Maybe because that was the original configuration in '49.....?
49 neg earth..JPG
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bazajay

Post by bazajay »

Thanks Guys, just nice to know I am not going to fry, top tips for cable sizes. Thanks for the diagram Spriddler, yes I have the manuals etc, I just wanted to check with the stop light, speedo light and extra earths etc.
Right, I'm off to warm the iron and burn my fingers...ouch!
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!