Oils for my 1961 G12 650

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Oils for my 1961 G12 650

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, David.
See the original Owners Manual, pages 12 and 21 here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf

However...............there are no end of opinions and hundreds of posts on here about using modern or multigrade or oils of different grade to that in the original manuals. (As a guest, i.e. non-subscriber I don't think you have the facility to search 'Which oil' on this website by using the search spyglass top right :? )

Lots of literature here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/

Standing by..............Over.
;)
Popcorn.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi David

There have many pages of discussion on oil in past posts and just as many different opinions. The main thing is, whatever oil you use, change it frequently.
For what it is worth, I never use oil with detergent in any of my fifties bikes unless the engine has been stripped and thoroughly cleaned, including the sludge traps and oil tank. In my G12 I use Castrol GP50 in the engine and gearbox, removed the felt filter and fitted a spin-on filter at the end of the oil gallery. TQF in the chaincase.

Other opinions are available ;)

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

JimFitz wrote:Hi David

There have many pages of discussion on oil in past posts and just as many different opinions. The main thing is, whatever oil you use, change it frequently.
For what it is worth, I never use oil with detergent in any of my fifties bikes unless the engine has been stripped and thoroughly cleaned, including the sludge traps and oil tank. In my G12 I use Castrol GP50 in the engine and gearbox, removed the felt filter and fitted a spin-on filter at the end of the oil gallery. TQF in the chaincase.

Other opinions are available ;)

Jim
That sounds interesting "removed the felt filter and fitted a spin-on filter at the end of the oil gallery." can you elaborate? easy/hard?
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Rosy

The spin-on filter mounting was made by a club member and it includes a valve - it replaces the existing large chrome assembly at the end of the oil gallery on the crankcase above engine sprocket. Dead easy to fit - I believe it uses a filter from a small Citroen which he supplies - you get one with the filter but I ordered a few spares. It is much better than an in-line filter on the tank return as it cleans the oil before it gets to the engine rather than after it has gone through.
If you are interested then come back and I will find his contact details for you.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Waiting for mine to come. When it does, I'm going over to 20/50 semi synthetic for the engine.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

F.W. NEIL recommand multigrade above 32° F (page 6) in his book "Service & overhaul manual for twin..."
I use CATROL 20/50, and I love their tin cans on the shelves, as I had in '65 !
But I agree with JimFitz :don't use multigrade detergent unless the engine has been stripped and thoroughly cleaned, including the sludge traps and oil tank.
I use multigrade oïl as I live at 3000' elevation, in the Alps, where temp could be in summer 5°C in the morning, and 30°C at noon.
When I had a M30, it was a nightmare to start it in cold weather using CASTROL 50 GP.
But yes, if you live in a very hot area, monograde 50 could be a good choice.
Regarding oïl filtration, I have fitted a cannister oïl filter on the return line, and obviously kept the original felt filter in the oïl tunnel.
Yes, if an external oïl filter is fitted on the pressure side oïl is cleaned just before reaching the plain bearings. But in my case the oïl is clean in the oïl tank, and what could happen after ? if the teeth of the pressure pump become disintegrated, they will be held by the felt filter, and in this case any other problems may appear!
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

bob121 wrote:Waiting for mine to come. When it does, I'm going over to 20/50 semi synthetic for the engine.
Semi synthetic oil are you sure that will not do untold damage to the engine ?