To polish or not to polish - heat conducting parts

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
asterysk_usa

To polish or not to polish - heat conducting parts

Post by asterysk_usa »

I hadn't thought about the impact of polishing parts on their ability to transfer heat until it was kindly pointed out in a post about lacquering.

Instinctively I want to polish my engine casings and gearbox to improve the aesthetics, however, I'm now having second thoughts

Was wondering if anyone has done polishing and had any heat related issues ?
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Taid

Re: To polish or not to polish - heat conducting parts

Post by Taid »

Many moons ago I had a Vincent Comet .. shining like the full moon except for the cylinder vanes .. never had any heat problems, but that was in England/Wales, where the temperature rarely rises above 'Quite warm'
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

If you want to keep your bike original, don't "over polish" it ! Only the covers ( timing chest, rockers cover, outside gear box cover, hub flanges, were polished. Al other alloy parts must remain "natural", and the best way to obtain a perfect look is vapour blasting.
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

I listened to the advice and simply soda blasted the engine and gearbox and pleased with the finish , probably looks like it did from factory.

The end plates that are almost chrome looking I will do a 3 stage polishing on for aesthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).