Have I got the right magneto ...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Re: Have I got the right magneto ...

Post by Taid »

Groily wrote: For a remote on/off switch Taid, you could always run a wire from the stud/nut on the side of the magneto, which may or may not have a bendy tag to stop the engine. That is 'live', hence all the insulation around it, so a switch on a lead to earth would do the job. Against casual joy-riders - but no use against proper thieves sadly!

Thanks for the enlightenment, G .. always something new to learn //

I had noticed that insulated screw and wondered if it would do as you say .. there's no tag on mine, and not knowing the internals am very reluctant to meddle with it in order to attach a wire ..

Thanks again ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
asterysk_usa

Post by asterysk_usa »

Taid wrote: reason I was investigating is that I am wondering if there is any way to put an 'ignition switch' on it as a bit of anti-easy-theft security ..
I am also thinking of fitting a keyswitch to prevent someone just starting and riding off !

My bike is probably going to a small island so it isn't going to get stolen just borrowed and I would like to make the borrowing a bit more difficult , please let me know what you end up doing
1954 AJS 18S Cyprus export (frame decode says 1954 but many components match a 1955).
Groily

Post by Groily »

Taid - all you need to do is put a wire under the nut/washer on the outside and take it to a simple on off switch you could hide anywhere.
If the bolt doesn't already have two nuts on it, in which case your wire can be sandwiched between the two in a heartbeat, you can take off the big cover (three screws) and stick a finger over the inside end to keep everything where it needs to be. Under the square head of the bolt, insulated from the body, you'll see a low tension wire from the coil, and the feed to the cb points, on little solder tags . . . don't let 'em self-detach!
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mine has a slotted screw-head in the insulation .. some day, when I'm feeling brave, I'll take the cover off and see what is to be seen inside, but thanks for the gen
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987