Help needed...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

Help needed...

Post by Pharisee »

IMG_0632[2].jpg
IMG_0634[1].jpg
The rebuild of my '55 AJS M18S is just about complete. It only needs the tank, seat and exhaust putting back... and a rear wheel, which is where my problem lies. The cleaned and polished hub was handed over to CWC in Coleshill to have a new rim fitted. That was back in October. I'm still waiting and having 'phoned them earlier today, it seems I'm not going to get it back until mid February at the earliest. First off, the gent that does their pinstiping was in hospital and now they have no 19" rims and eariest delivery for them is scheduled for mid February....
As you can see, the bike is on my workbench and I have other machines that I have work on... So...
Does anyone local to me ( I live in Long Sutton, south Lincolnshire) have a suitable QD rear wheel that I can borrow for as long as it takes me to get the AJS off the work bench and wheeled down to my garage, where I can take the wheel out again and return it?
I will collect and return it promptly or the owner can deliver it wait the few minutes that the job will take. I will, of course reimburse any fuel costs.
Thanks, John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
clive

Re: Help needed...

Post by clive »

I have a wheel that would suit and that you could borrow until you got yours back but unfortunately I am based in West London. Perhaps we can get it to you via another member.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
raffles

Post by raffles »

Do you not have another AMC single with the same hub (the one with the pretty points cover)?
Can you not use that?
Tony
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

raffles wrote:Do you not have another AMC single with the same hub (the one with the pretty points cover)?
Can you not use that?
Tony
Unfortunately, the 350 doesn't have a QD rear wheel. The two aren't easily interchangeable.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote:I have a wheel that would suit and that you could borrow until you got yours back but unfortunately I am based in West London. Perhaps we can get it to you via another member.
Clive... Thank you for the offer. While I live in Lincolnshire, the lady in my life lives in South Ruislip so I'm not a million miles away from you at least a couple of weekends a month. If more local help isn't forthcoming, I'll get in touch with you before my next trip south.
John
clive

Post by clive »

ok the wheel has a bearing that seems to be seized but for your purposes it would be ok as with a bit of grease it should rotate round spindle provided you don't nip it up too tight or leave out one of the spacers. You will need to collect it before the end of Jan as I am off to NZ for the rally. I'm in Hanwell so South Ruislip is close.
PS it looks like you have a bearing missing in the QD drum too!
clive
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote: PS it looks like you have a bearing missing in the QD drum too!
Umm... what bearing would that be, Clive? There is only one ball race in the rear sprocket (part no. 021598). That I've replaced and it's secure behind the dished washer and circlip.
bearing.jpg
bearing2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

My mistake
clive
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello I have a suitable wheel that you can borrow as i am not yet at the wheel building stage.

As i live in Boston its not far from you - happy for you to call 01205 310348.

There is a really large club section in Lincolnshire but most don't use this forum.

Happy to help.

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Great, the system works! I wouldn't put your phone number on a public forum though, better to send a PM. ( I also have a suitable wheel but unless he's got another girlfriend in Lancashire......)
Cheers Dave.